Bizarre website problem

Reaction score
I am having a very strange problem. For the past couple weeks (and I don't know what could have triggered it) I have been unable to visit www.wikipedia.org - Every single other website (unless the server is down) works for me with the exception of wikipedia. Any suggestions? What do I do?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Mac you running? Version of OSX? Have you tried other browsers? Do you have any other machine you could try it on hooked to the same internet? It goes right in here on Safari in Tiger 10.4.10. AT&T DSL. Who is your ISP?

OP
Y
Reaction score
I am running Tiger 10.4.10 on a PowerBook G4. I have tried other browsers and they have not worked either. I do not have any other machine I can hook up to the internet on this network. My ISP is AT&T DSL

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, yanks1mig.

You can rule out a browser going kerplunk as all of those you tried don't connect.

Did you install something like NetBarrier or a virus checker lately?

Did you change anything in your Network settings right before this happened?

OP
Y
Reaction score
I have not installed any network barriers or anything of that sort to my knowledge...I'm not even sure where I'd have to go to double check such settings...it is just one website after all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have not installed any network barriers or anything of that sort to my knowledge...I'm not even sure where I'd have to go to double check such settings...it is just one website after all.

Are you using a router hooked to the DSL modem? If so which one? Changed any settings in the routers firewall?

M

MacHeadCase

If what dtravis and I posted doesn't apply to you, if I were you, I would contact my ISP and ask them if they have changed anything on their end just to rule out that possibility.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Wow...I just reset my internet and now the website works...weird. Thanks for everyones tips and advice

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In case someone else has a problem like this....

I assume by 'reset my internet', you mean you reset the DSL modem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.