Trying to Create A Network Between A Macbook and a Pc to Backup Hardrive

Reaction score
I am trying to create a network or anything between my Macbook and my Windows XP and I am using the software, SuperDuper! which allows me to copy my hardrive and send it anywhere free.

So what I am trying to do is copy my hardrive to my PC Hardrive which has an extra 175gb of room so incase my Macbook crashs, I can get it back easily.

Only thing is im not sure how to do this. I have a 10 ft Ethernet Cord which I plugged into my Mac and connected to my PC and from there I didn't know how to do it.

Anyone else know an easier way to backup my hardrive on to a different hardrive or on a cd?

Reaction score
The easier way would be to get an external hard drive and plug it into the MacBook. They are easily found for under $100 now a days.

You have a lot going on in this message so I will only touch each point lightly.

To connect the PC and Mac with just an ethernet cable it will need to be a crossover cable. Most ethernet cables are not crossover, unless you know this one is, it probably won't work.

If you get a crossover cable you will need to put compatible TCPIP settings in both machines.

Another, easier, way would be to connect both devices to a router. The router will hand out the proper settings.

Either way your now at the step where they are on the same network.

On the PC you will need to share a folder that you want to send to and make sure the firewall is either disabled, or allows sharing. If you have Norton Internet Security Suite this is not fun.

Once the PC is sharing a folder go to the Mac and connect to the PC. Use the IP of the PC, it will work better than the name.

Now you should be able to send the files.

If you get stuck on a point, feel free to ask. If none of this makes sense then I would recommend the external drive. Don't feel bad, I get calls all the time from people unable to get their XP machines to play nice together and that is just not an easy thing to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.