iMac just died

Reaction score
My iMac G5 just died when I turned on my Midi Controller. I heard a pop, then smelled smoke, and then looked at my lifeless computer. The computer failed to turn on - I tried several different outlets. I don't think it could be the monitor, wouldn't I be able to see the white power circle flashing?

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, afalltoarms.

Could you give us some info? For one thing, I have no idea which generation your iMac G5 is so it's pretty hard to say anything at this point.

I know that certain iMac G5s are subjected to recalls for free repairs but that will depend on your iMac model.

OP
A
Reaction score
I bought it in December of 2005 so of course it's non-Intel. I guess that would make it like the 2nd generation of the G5? I remember there being a G5 iMac before mine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does it have the iSight Camera built in? What MIDI controller is this? How does it plug in? USB?

OP
A
Reaction score
It is a M-Audio Midi Controller. Plugs in through USB. I originally thought the smoke smell was from the USB port.

This is my iMac:

iMac G5 (iSight)

* A 1.9 GHz PowerPC G5 processor with a 17-inch screen display.
* Comes with an ATI Radeon X600 video card.
* Comes with a built-in iSight camera.

M

MacHeadCase

I bet your logic board went belly-up. Is it still on warranty? Nothing much you can do if that is the case...

OP
A
Reaction score
Apple warranty is good until December. I was hoping I could get it to work. I guess I'm going to have to take it to the Apple Store tomorrow.

Are there any charges even with the Apple Care? Like, a new Logic Board? Would I have to buy a new one. If so, is it worth it just to buy a whole new computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
If it's covered under AppleCare, you won't have to pay anything.

M

MacHeadCase

Yep a logic board isn't supposed to blow up because you plugged in a MIDI thingy in a port.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks everybody.

Turns out my power supply and superdrive had failed. Everything is repaired - at no cost!

However, here is something else funky. My iChat noises are going off when I do stuff around in Finder and the trash can. Let's say I clean the trash can: I will then hear the sound of someone logging on and off. Same for iChat, if someone logs on, I hear the trash can being cleaned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.