Dock not minimizing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz 2 Gig Ram 120GB HD
Started up my macbook pro and the dock isn't minimizing now! What gives? How do I fix it? Thanks in advance!:D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
don't know what you mean by not minimizing.
But, click on the Apple on the menu bar and go to 'Dock' - 'Dock Preferences'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Do you have textpander installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
try option+apple+d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM 667MHz, 130GB HD
Sometimes mine would do that. The preferences for "hide when not in use" and "always shown" somehow would get mixed up and I'd have to change them once in a blue moon. Your system preferences ding-a-linger should provide relief.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
If you mean, you can't make it smaller. The separator bar that's beside the trash can, click on it and drag your mouse down ward.

This is the bar I'm talking about,
picture1ou7.png
excuse my trashcan icon ;)

Reaction score
I'm having the same prob - I hit option+commad+d - The dock ducks a bit and then stays put. Only noticed this recently ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I know that texpander has a bug that prevents the dock from hiding. It'll pop down and right back up again..

Reaction score
Just found this on Textexpander web site "My Dock won't hide when I use the Cmd + Opt + D shortcut. What happened?

The problem described here is a known bug in Mac OS X with Universal Access Keyloggers. When keyloggers are enabled, there is a problem with hiding and showing the Dock using cmd+option+D. This does _affect_ TextExpander, but it is not caused by TextExpander.

One of our users submitted a clever workaround. In the Keyboard & Mouse System Preferences, under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, under "Dock, Exposé, and Dashboard", next to "Automatically hide and show the Dock", if you double-click the shortcut and change it to something other than cmd+option+D, you'll find that the dock will hide and show properly.

Rest assured, we have reported this bug to Apple, and we expect they'll fix it in a future release of Mac OS X."

Hope this helps....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ahh, textpander - I remember in my MS tech support days - having customers with perfectly fine working machines that would install a piece of software (especially AOL) and now something on the system doesn't work.

Any of the ones with lousy support (AOL again) would say it was a problem with the OS and call MS. Only as soon as their software was removed everything was back to normal again.

Am no coder myself, but I always figured anyone writing software should be writing it to work properly on the OS and not break the OS. Shouldn't be the responsibility of the OS to make changes to fix something that is broken by a single application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Hmm, so TextPander doesn't cause the bug, but the bug only shows up when TextPander is installed. Hmm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Eh, there's plenty of little annoying things that happen with Mac OS X. They happen to all computers with all operating systems. I don't hide my Dock, but various bits that usually show in my menu bar go missing from time to time. Just the other day I noticed my bluetooth indicator had gone away. Other days it's the little keyboard flag. I put them back.

Just an indicator that Software Update hasn't had any reason to restart in awhile, and most computers start getting crufty between reboots. Mac OS as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.