What's best: Transmission, Azureus or Tomato Torrent?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
I've searched a bit, these are the usual ones that people suggest.

What're your opinions of the best one? (and why?)

If you've got another that you think is better, go right ahead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
My opinion is transmission it uses very little resources than the others. It looks good and is easy to use. That's why it is my favorite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I've never used TT, but my opinion on the others are:

Transmission: Looks good. Lightweight; very basic, with few options/features (but those that it does have are very handy). Still lacking some pretty basic features.

Azureus: Slow. Includes a lot more features/options, but doesn't have some of the nicer touches Trans. does. All the options give a bloated/unfriendly UI.

Xtorrent: (Only used briefly) Looks good. Has some unique features that are very useful. More advanced than Trans. yet faster and friendlier than Azureus. SHAREWARE.

T

todd51

I use Azureus, but if someone could tell me if Transmission had a Safe Peer plugin, I would definitely try it out.

Reaction score
I use Azureus, but if someone could tell me if Transmission had a Safe Peer plugin, I would definitely try it out.

That's the real beauty of Azureus, isn't it? You can read all sorts of things about leaner, meaner, faster torrents apps, but none of it matters if there isn't a Safe Peer-esque plugin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Whenever I dip my toe into P2P I use Tomato, I've never had any problems with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I don't know what safe-peer is...I use Transmission. I like it. I tried Azureus just the other day, and it basically killed my iMac C2D with 1.5 GB or Ram and nothing else running.

I removed it immediately, and decided to stick with Transmission.

Reaction score
I haven't tried the other two.

I started with Azureus and stuck with that because I was happy with it.

Reaction score
Just switched to Transmission.

Why didn't someone mention how good it was before!!!!!

Maybe I wasn't listening!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
I find transmission to be too simple for my taste. I don't think Azureus sucks up enough cpu to warrant switching, plus I seed heavily so I'm not really using my mbp while running it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
When people say Azureus is slow, what do they mean? I get faster download speeds on Azureus than on Transmission, it seems to connect to more Seeders than trans. And that's all there is to it.

Reaction score
For A Few Dollars More.

I used all the above mentioned and for the last few months have been using Dave Watanabe's xtorrent and it's flippin' ace! It's smooth, pretty much bug-free and very quick if your system is up to it and your connection allows. (I'm using 24Mb ADSL but getting 6-7Mb as an average and have achieved very quick dl's on both MBPro and my old but trusty PowerBook.
What's more, xtorrent 1.1 just beta'd yesterday it has some new cool features although I haven't had an opportunity to really check it out yet (I'm hoping that there is stuff like bookmarks available in the beta).

One word of warning tho, to use the real speed of XT you need to buy a license; I think about $18 dollars. It is possible to to run a XT at full speed without a licensce but your up and dl speed is restricted after about 10 mins.
This may seem mean but the guy has built (and builds other great apps) a good piece of software so I was and happy to have given him a few dollars.

I have no affiliation with Mr Watanabe; wish I did! But believe in 'credit where credit is due'.

D DUbyahs blog:
http://www.newsfirex.com/blog/

Hope this is of benefit to people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I used all the above mentioned and for the last few months have been using Dave Watanabe's xtorrent and it's flippin' ace! It's smooth, pretty much bug-free and very quick if your system is up to it and your connection allows. (I'm using 24Mb ADSL but getting 6-7Mb as an average and have achieved very quick dl's on both MBPro and my old but trusty PowerBook.
What's more, xtorrent 1.1 just beta'd yesterday it has some new cool features although I haven't had an opportunity to really check it out yet (I'm hoping that there is stuff like bookmarks available in the beta).

One word of warning tho, to use the real speed of XT you need to buy a license; I think about $18 dollars. It is possible to to run a XT at full speed without a licensce but your up and dl speed is restricted after about 10 mins.
This may seem mean but the guy has built (and builds other great apps) a good piece of software so I was and happy to have given him a few dollars.

I have no affiliation with Mr Watanabe; wish I did! But believe in 'credit where credit is due'.

D DUbyahs blog:
http://www.newsfirex.com/blog/

Hope this is of benefit to people.

So are these torrent downloads? Or are they direct P2P (if there is even a difference?)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
Transmission: No problems at all...slick look, easy to use.

Tomato: No problems, looks ok.....I always had upload problems

Azureus: Very buggy...always having to upgrade, too much stuff going on to figure any of it out....deleted it from Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
My favourite is Utorrent. It was the one thing I missed when I first moved from PC to a Mac. Like transmission it's "very" resource friendly, when ever I used Azaruse (called Vuze now I believe) it always seemed like it had a memory leak. I would run it overnight and by the morning I would have a 2GB swap file due to it eating through all the RAM. Utorrent doesn't to that and I'm use to the UI. Transmission is a close 2nd for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ye Olde Thread!
Vuze is now brilliant and not buggy at all now.

Reaction score
/Agrees with Kevriano

I use Transmission,
why? because it so simple but feels still advance, does what you want it to do and now it even got really cool futures, really nice interface and user friendly

last I use Azureus it was blurry and they tried to make it user friendly, but they just made a windows vista out of it and it takes up the hole screen (you could make it smaller, but feel like getting 100% out of it you needed to use the hole screen)

and transmission is just there and doing it job, being small and just, I like it =)

Reaction score
Spam. Comparisons.

Ye Olde Thread!

I'm 99% sure the poster's only reason for posting was the linkspam for tennis machines.

I came to compare Transmission, which I've been using, with Bits on Wheels and Tomato, or discover anything new and good. I'm tempted to try Bits on Wheels just to see the pretty picture, but it seems like it hasn't been updated in half a decade.

I'm happy with Transmission O:) - it uses few resources IFF YOU CLOSE ALL ITS WINDOWS.

Features:
  • MAINTAINED,
  • port (NAT) health status,
  • PEX,
  • DHT,
  • Blocklist w/updating,
  • encryption support,
  • lots of bandwidth, priority, ratio, resource and other controls.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.