• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HD editing on a MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying a macbook pro for editing very soon. However, I have been told that the Macbook pro cannot edit "true" HD video (in Final cut studio 2) due to it's resolution and graphics card / capture device. However, i have been told it can edit "compressed HD", can anyone tell me the difference and enlighten me on this?

The last thing I want to do is spend £1800 on a mac that won't do the job I need it to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
if you got the 17" macbook with the top spec graphcis card it might do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well, you won't be able to view 1080p on a display that's less than 1920x1080. But you can still edit the material and export it in that format... so yeah - you can edit full HD.

Reaction score
Broad Format Support
With native support for virtually any format, Final Cut Pro lets you edit everything from uncompressed SD to HDV, DVCPRO HD, and uncompressed HD — as well as Panasonic P2 and Sony XDCAM HD tapeless formats. Or use ProRes 422, a new post-production format from Apple that offers uncompressed HD quality at SD file sizes. Mix and match a wide range of formats and even frame rates in the open format Timeline. If you edit film, use the redesigned interface in Cinema Tools 4 to work faster than ever, with customizable lists that let you combine timecode and keycode in a single document.

Took That Off Of:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK... I got this off the final cut studio 2 specifications...

"Capturing HD resolution video using the ProRes 422 format requires a Mac Pro with an Intel Xeon processor or a G5 Quad computer and a qualified third-party capture card. "

If I can't view full 1080p then how could I edit the footage (forgetting outputting to a HDTV), or would the footage be scaled in quality until I were to export it to say a HD DVD or Blu Ray?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The ProRes 422 format is for cinema quality stuff... if you're making the next Godzilla - you'll need it. Oh and one of these.

For regular prosumer grade HD editing, the Macbook Pro will just display the footage scaled to your screen's resolution. If you want to do some serious editing, you could always get a 23" external monitor to go with it.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll be editing music videos (pro level work) - I am also an indie film maker but i doubt i'll be wanting to make the next godzilla, that's not really my thing. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerbookG4 is really the guy you need to speak to then... he's waaay into the whole filmmaking stuff :)

I just mess around with a DV camera in Final Cut Express HD a bit every now and then.

Anyway, good luck - I look forward to seeing Indiezilla in theatres soon!

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol. thanks man.
Because of the nature of my work I cannot post it on youtube (record labels, copyright music etc..) Once I get my mac i'll be converting some of my short films to go onto youtube, i'll post some links, i'd appreciate any feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
lol. thanks man.
Because of the nature of my work I cannot post it on youtube (record labels, copyright music etc..) Once I get my mac i'll be converting some of my short films to go onto youtube, i'll post some links, i'd appreciate any feedback.

i understand you cant post the stuff youve done on youtube, but if youve done some stuff with a record label's backing, i can imagine its online somewhere (the band's site, the label's site, mtv wanna be sites, etc), so post up a link!

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just finished a music video for a band in Leeds (UK) called The Voltaires. The label have yet to approve that but when they do it will be on thier myspace site.

I did a live video for a band not long ago, but that isn't on thier site, it was for promo packs etc. I'll be putting that on my site soon.

check out http://www.myspace.com/pangvideo - work will be on there shortly (that I have clearance for).

Reaction score
Hmm.. I think you could just put the top res in the 17" macbook pro, it is 1920*1200, which is the same as the 23" (correct me if I'm wrong). Just max the ram (to 4 GB), and you will be great for some mobile editing...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.