External hard-drive questions

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't know where else this would fit. I chose "Anything goes."

I just recently hooked up my new Airport Extreme. I just recently realized it has a USB plug in the bag so that means we can use an external harddrive, right? Does that mean the PC and the Mac can use the same Ext. HD? What is the security like on these things, people cannot get into our network there by accessing the Ext HD right? Also, what is the best brand? I found this on Apple's website... any good? http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=174DC774&nplm=TN685LL/A

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
My external HDD is formated and partitioned so that I can use it on my Mac and my daughter on her PC. Mine is just a generic can buy it anywhere HDD which connects via USB

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
See the following Sticky.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Not just anything belongs in "Anything Goes"

To quote it: "In short... this is NOT the place to put threads asking for tech help of any kind."

Although I cannot personally answer your question, my response is not only for you, but for everyone new to this site that may see this post. Many of the long timers around here just flat out are not going to answer a tech question posted in this area of the forums. This is a place for them to unwind, be lighthearted and not have to think about all us newbs out here and our problems and sometimes ridiculous questions. Some of which have been asked and answered countless times before.

But I will give you some guidance on where to post.
First - this is a purely hardware question - related to hard drive, Airport and networking.
Now take a look at the following picture from the Home page and see if you can figure out where this should go.
I know it may not seem all that important to us - but it after all, is not our forum, and the members around here are all too willing to help if we follow a little simple etiquette.

edit: and after going back further and seeing you had already posted this question in the correct place, many other long timers, will just ignore double posting. This is only a hobby to most of these people. There are no "paid" personnel sitting around waiting to respond. Yes, I know we've all gotten use to and expect immediate responses in our fast paced lives. But give people some time to respond. Many may only log on once a day for an hour at a time.

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Moved to correct forum

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.