Mac Anxiety Issues

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently switched to Mac after having dealt with Windows for virtually all of my 22 years. I have a lot of knowledge of Windows, and how to fix them when they crash. I had so many problems with Windows that I didn't have a choice but to learn how to fix them. I now have had the Macbook for about 2.5 months and am constantly fearing the "crash" and fearing I will have no idea how to fix it. Is this a fear based on nothing? I have been downloading some apps and videos from Bitorrent, but I was told from a few little birds that Mac's don't usually get the same type of kiss-of-death viruses from DL'ing such things like Windows does. Please people, am I justified in this anxiety, or should I just relax?

Reaction score
Remain calm.....take a deep breath.....you are out of danger....you are in Mac country now............;D

Reaction score
Brooklyn431, i felt the same way 5 months ago. I just didn't feel i was in control when i was using my MBP, but my MBP controlling me. Eventually I learned to let go of some of my habits with my PC, and just enjoyed my experience with my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Thats not to say smoething can't go wrong.......Kernal Panic!!!!!!

OP
B
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't realize I can actually relax! And I never would have thought someone else felt this same way. It's so weird, like being a PC user for so long has given people this fear about using a computer, like you're always waiting for doomsday to come. So sad, and thank God for Mac. Thanks guys, you're the 2am support group! Take it easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
I too have been scarred for life by windows, I've had zero problems with my mbp though. We're here if you need our help, enjoy the mac life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Besides, if you do ever have a "crash", we're here to help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Some people take this Windows fear a bit too far imo. Yes it crashes from time to time but most of the time it's just small errors (atleast with XP and Vista)
Since XP came out I haven't had a major crash, ofcourse if you download malicious files and don't install a firewall nor a virus scanner, then your system will crash. Anyway I'm switching too though because I'm very curious about OS X and the iLife software, but not because I have problems with Windows. I think it depends on how you use it and what you download/install.
It's a big plus ofcourse if you don't have to install any security software on a Mac because there are no virusses, spyware, etc. (or is there?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Yh When i was using windows, i found i hard to get viruses, so i guess its how you use your pc.

The whole virus and spyware thing with XP and vista is more of a marketing gimmick to make you buy security software and buy the next version of windows because of the 'enhanced' security features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
Some people take this Windows fear a bit too far imo. Yes it crashes from time to time but most of the time it's just small errors (atleast with XP and Vista)
Since XP came out I haven't had a major crash, ofcourse if you download malicious files and don't install a firewall nor a virus scanner, then your system will crash. Anyway I'm switching too though because I'm very curious about OS X and the iLife software, but not because I have problems with Windows. I think it depends on how you use it and what you download/install.
It's a big plus ofcourse if you don't have to install any security software on a Mac because there are no virusses, spyware, etc. (or is there?)

Completely agree.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
i never had this fear, but then BOOM!

Blue screen of death!

So i turned my pc off and went on my Mac instead :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

The problem is that you install Win XP with no service packs and as soon as you connect to the internet, you immediately get attacked by malicious programs. You can't even get to the AVG site or the Microsoft site to get updates before the machine is brought to its knees.

Service Packs 1 and 2 are better, but the problem is that you have a fundamentally flawed operating system which relies on patches to make it safe.

And lo and behold, Vista is just Windows XP with a service pack 3. Instead of a secure operating system from the inside out, you have things like 'Windows Defender'. It should be immune from everything and the user should not be aware of any security patches or packs or add-ons. They had the chance to create an OS from scratch (as Apple did in the years before 2001, albeit utilising UNIX) so it's a shame they didn't take it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
(as Apple did in the years before 2001, albeit utilising UNIX) so it's a shame they didn't take it.

Actually, Apple bought much of what became OSX after failing to build a new OS from scratch. The BSD Unix underpinning were purchased along with NeXT (and Steve Jobs) and both were what ultimately became OSX. Very little of the footwork for either was done by Apple until the folks that had created them (or worked on them) became Apple employees.

To be fair to MS, they at least got a new OS out the door that they developed in-house, Apple had to turn to the outside to get the basics for OSX, and even then they almost didn't go with NeXT (which is a somewhat inferior system compared to Be, or it was at the time), but Be simply overpriced themselves out of the competition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
The problem is that you install Win XP with no service packs and as soon as you connect to the internet, you immediately get attacked by malicious programs. You can't even get to the AVG site or the Microsoft site to get updates before the machine is brought to its knees.

That doesn't happen to me at all and I've got the first XP version, not with a SP on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I download a lot with BT, and no viruses as of yet. I've been doing this for one year or so, only one kernel panic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2008 Mac Pro - 500 GB HD - 6 GB Ram

Most people are behind a firewall, or firewall like device such as a NAT provided by their router. It is my experience that few people directly connect to the Internet with a public IP address. A college campus is the only thing I can think of that may have public ip addresses for all the network connections.

If they go directly to the MS site and install the patches and service packs, then the problems you referenced can be easily avoided.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.