A little "dilemma" - need your opinions, please!

Reaction score
Guys and gals...

Through work I can get a new 24" iMac for $1395 delivered to my door. That's the "stock" setup w/1GB RAM.

Or, I can get a new 20" iMac for $1536 delivered, with 2GB of RAM.

I have concerns about the size of the 24" being too big. We aren't going to use it for watching movies, etc. and aren't going to turn it into a big multi-media center...just a computer for in-turd-web, email, and storing and working with our digital photos (not huge editing, just basic stuff).

So...for about $150 LESS than the 20" w/2GB of RAM, which would you get?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
From what you say you probably don't need 2 gig either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I'd go for the 24 inch. You may not need it, but having lots of screen real estate is good in OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24
i'd go for the 24

I was going to get the 20 at first, but once I saw them in the shop side by side, the 24 was a no-brainer... it's so much bigger & brighter

you might not need the extra screen space, but you never know... the huge screen might inspire you to do different stuff & work in ways you didn't intend

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Spicy McHaggis.

If you aren't sure about the size: go to an Apple Store or a computer store that has them so you can see what the 24" looks like in real life.

If you are sure the 24" is too big, I would get the 20" even if it has 2GB of RAM which sounds like overkill for your needs now: but you can never tell when your tastes are going to evolve and you pick up a new hobby one day (for instance making videos or something else that might ask for more juice).

If worse comes to worse and you never get into something that is a a bit more demanding in terms of RAM, the 20" will be a pleasure to use for a very very long time with that much horsepower...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have had screens as large as 32" for my primary desktop.
I say bigger is better. Up to a point. The 32" was too big when you're sitting only 2-4 feet away from the screen and trying to play a game that requires your peripheral vision. Always found myself backing away from the desk to about 5-6' with several games. Ended up downsizing to a 26" that I am still using and a 20" secondary monitor. I like a lot of real estate.

For the difference in price between the 2, you can add the Ram yourself into the 24" at a later time. Have to say, I'd be getting the 24". On the other hand, my wife has a 20" she uses and even sitting right across the room from my 26", likes her 20" and has no desire for a larger screen.

However, as for advice - would get the dimensions of the 2 systems and a tape measure and compare the size to the location you'll be putting the computer. When I bought my main widescreen TV, I actually took some boxes I had laying around and made some cardboard cutouts and set 'em up in the location I was going to put the TV. Seems I'm always going a little over board (made cutouts of 42", 47", 52", 55" and 60" screens - the 55 ended up being the "right" size for our room). Next step would be to go to a local Apple store if you have one and take a look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 core2, 2gigs ram, 120gig HD / 24" iMac, 2.33 core 2, 2 gig, 256 grapics, 500hd
Definitely the 24", It seems huge at first but after a while you get used to it and wish you had more....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM 667MHz, 130GB HD
Eh, I have a 17" screen that sits on a 36" desk. While bigger is better in aesthetics....every time I walk in here at night and bump the mouse, the searing white light of the monitor blinds me. Yeah, a 24" would rock, but it may be a little too much in some cases. Heck..even a crack in the door into my bedroom the screen light is like a search light in my eyes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
I was going to get a 24" but decided on a 20" and I never felt any guilt I thought I would! I was to busy drooling over mac os x, and the amazing white of the iMac!
But you might want the 24" so i'd say get that, then you can show off big style when friends come round!

-note i couldnt be happier with my 20"!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
20" is just the right size, although the 24" has a 'wow' factor.

Before you make your choice though, wait until 7th August. That is probably when the new iMacs come out.

OP
S
Reaction score
20" is just the right size, although the 24" has a 'wow' factor.

Before you make your choice though, wait until 7th August. That is probably when the new iMacs come out.

We ordered the 24" iMac. The price that we got it at (1400 bucks) was only valid for the next few days. Had no choice!

Reaction score
maybe it was onli valid for the next few days bcause they are coming out with the new one yaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii lol, cant wait to see em

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Get the 24" then get another gig of RAM from Crucial, its WAY cheaper than Apple RAM and just as good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.