iTunes keeps importing each song twice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.16 GHz 1GB ram 160 GB HD
The past two times I've tried to import my music into iTunes, it imports each song twice. So I have to go through all my music and delete all the extra songs that loaded, one by one (a very long task).

Well I'm about to get a new macbook (I use windows right now on my current laptop) and am going to have to import all my music on that computers iTunes.

Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone know a way to prevent this?

If it helps, this is how I load my music on itunes:
I have an external hard drive that contains all my music. All my music is contained in one folder that contains 4 folders. One folder is music I've downloaded, one is music I've put on from CD's, the third folder is titled "Itunesloaded" and the fourth is titled "iTunes."
The folders titled "iTunesloaded" and "iTunes" were not created by me but were made by my PC so I put it on the external hardrive in case it's important even though I'm not sure what it really is.
So when I want to load my music on Itunes I just import all the music from the big folder that contains the 4 smaller folders.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Uncheck "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library." ITunes, Preferences, Advanced.
See Pic below.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2 GBs Ram, 250gb My Book, 500gb Lacie,40gb 3rd Gen ipod,60gb ipod video
Also if you're dragging and dropping music from elsewhere make sure you aren't dragging any playlist with the files, that will add the songs twice also.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.16 GHz 1GB ram 160 GB HD
Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try

Reaction score
i've had the same problem....has really got on my t!ts cos i've copied 50gb of music over by USB and have about 10gb of duplicates! and I can't delete more than 8 tracks at a time (more than 8 just offers the option of removing from itunes lib and not the hard drive)
the playlist file may just be the reason as to why this has happened! will be more careful in the future. thanks

i find it easy to keep the copy to itunes library activated, when i have new music to add, i just drag it from finder into itunes and it does all the work for me! (can't believe I was so dedicated to WMP for so long - I am foolish!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
issuehede
the most interesting forum

Hello
I have long searched for a good forum
I will stay here for long

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.