Best way to connect MBP to TV?

Reaction score
I have done a bit of reading but I just want to clarify before I purchase anything... I want to connect my MBP to different TVs. I think for the video side all I need is this cable: link - right? My plasma has VGA in, so I can already use the cable it came with for that, but most TVs use SVIDEO, or component (is that the yellow RCA one?)

As for the sound I don't know what I am doing. Do I need to get a 3.5mm to 2RCA (red and white)? Or is there a better option for better sound?

I'm sure the answer is obvious to most people, I just want to make sure I don't go buying the wrong cables, hehe. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
i use a vga cable i picked up for 50p works great.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Yeah I already have the VGA cable and use it with my plasma, but every other TV I use doesn't have a VGA in...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
orite
well erm.. what do they have? dvi? s-vid? rca?

put the one that most of your tv's have. i know apple to a dvi to s-vid i think its dvi might b vga

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, that's the adapter you want. And you'll want to use s-video not composite.
For audio can get a 1/8" stereo mini-plug (male) to standard RCA (red and white).
The MBP is suppose to have optical out, but I haven't looked into what type of cable you need for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
For audio can get a 1/8" stereo mini-plug (male) to standard RCA (red and white).
The MBP is suppose to have optical out, but I haven't looked into what type of cable you need for it.

Standard RCA is red, white, and yellow... I think you mean a Y-audio connection. You could just get a 1/8" (3.5mm) to 1/8" (3.5mm) minijack connection. If you're TV has VGA it will have a minijack plug right next to the VGA input, that would be the simplest route.

If you want higher fidelity sound you could also do this ----> http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/av_cables/toslink/

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys..

I bought the DVI --> TV adapter and it has both SVIDEO and the yellow composite port.

Now when I try to connect through SVIDEO I was only getting black and white! Any ideas? When I used the yellow composite cable, it was fine, but I noticed a SLIGHT lack of quality compared to the SVIDEO.

The sound was okay using a 3.5mm headphone jack to the red/white composite ports. I don't really need anything too high quality, but that is a d@mn nice cable flilow06!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Typically with s-video, if no color, one of the connectors is not pushed in all the way.

Note: An RCA jack (plug, connector) is the connector type at the end of those cables whether audio (red & white) or audio / video cable (red, white & yellow).

Composite is a format for transmitting analog video and the three wire (red, white & yellow) cable is commonly referred to as a composite cable because it combines video with the audio cables. All three of those connections are RCA. A single yellow cable without the audio cables attached may also be referred to as a composite cable because it transfers analog video and typically uses an RCA jack.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Ohh, that makes more sense. I think I was just making my own names up for them haha. Nice post, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.