i really need some help

Reaction score
for weeks now i have been looking for a cheap mac, i live in the uk and i am finding it very hard. i have just been accepted onto a graphic design course and i am really excited as for the past 4 years i have been dealing with heart problems and not been able to get any sort of education, now i finally have been able to get onto the course i want to do and i am overjoyed. unfortunately for this course one of the things i need is a mac, i am really looking for a powermac or something of the like above 500mhz and easily upgradeable, even imac g4s with broken screens. i am very very short on cash and i really need your help anyone who knows of any cheap macs or could donate one to me or anything like that would be extremely helpful. i have one final chance of getting a good education and i really dont want to ruine it by being under equipped. i am based in the uk and could really do with any help.
thanks

Reaction score
I don't know how eBay works across the pond there, but I have found lots of machines with dead hard drives, blown logic boards and fried screens. Try local computer stores, people really don't like throwing machines away, yet they may have a pile of old head stuff. Mix and match, spend some time with tiny little screws and voila! Best of luck and better health!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since you are in the UK it will be hard to help you from here but one suggestion, Look for a Digital Audio or higher as you start with a 133Mhz Bus instead of 100Mhz and AGP 4x instead of AGP 2x with the Sawtooth Power Macs. The 466, Dual 533, 667 and 733Mhz G4 towers are the Digital Audio models. Better for upgrading.

Here is one here in the US for an example.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Mac-G4-73...9QQihZ018QQcategoryZ51035QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

M

MacHeadCase

A friend of mine is a Mac-Forums member and he does repairs on computers in the UK. Maybe you could ask him via PM if he knows of anyone getting rid of his/her Mac or if he has anything to sell to you?

This is his profile and you can contact him via private message from there.

OP
macnatey
Reaction score
ok i have found a fairly cheap g4 powermac on ebay its a 466 with 320mb ram and dvd rw ect. how upgradeable is this mac and what sort of money would it cost me to get it up to spec for my graphic design work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.0 Core 2 duo, Alienware 7700 3.2ghz, Iphone,Imac g5,Powebook 15" 1.5ghz
hi if your doing graphic design you are not going to want to buy a g4 way to slow... i would say get a g5 pro there ment for that type of work.....kyle

Reaction score
I may get flamed for this, but...so what. I'm only trying to help.

PC's are cheap. You could probably go with a stout set up that would get you through your education and you would learn what you have to learn. In the mean time, save up for a real mean machine and buy an iMac or MacPro when you're finished ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
it is always funny to me when a thread brought back up after almost a year has gone by

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.