bootcamp and memory under vista (macbook pro 2.4)

Reaction score
HI All,

i have just upgarded my new Macbook Pro 17" memory to 4GB, under Mac OS X, the ram reads 4GB, however under Windows Vista it only ready 3054MB, that is whole 1GB missing under windows, is this normal, i mean its workign fine in mac, please help

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2GB RAM
Vista under bootcamp will currently only recognize 3GB of RAM. Honestly....as much of a resource hog as Vista is, you'll still never use up 3GB...unless you're doing video editing, in which case you shouldn't be booted into Vista in the first place :p

OP
N
Reaction score
TRUE .. Bro

Hey Bro,

thanks for the info, you are 100 percent right, i mainly use the system for video editing under, apple Bec. it much more stable, the only reason iam using vista, is to sync with my PDA, use office 2007.. as soon as microshit offers office 2007 on the mac .. i will stop using vista all together...

Thank's Again

;D

Reaction score
I'm the exact opposite, and as soon as (thats IF) I can run Vista natively I'll remove OS X from my machine totally. (I wonder if I should be saying this here...) I don't do ANY video editing though - I primarily work with Windows and Linux servers so it suits me rather well.

I do think it's weird that Vista would only see 3GB of your installed memory. I wonder what's causing it. I know I probably can't do anything about it, but I am curious.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm the exact opposite, and as soon as (thats IF) I can run Vista natively I'll remove OS X from my machine totally. (I wonder if I should be saying this here...) I don't do ANY video editing though - I primarily work with Windows and Linux servers so it suits me rather well.

I do think it's weird that Vista would only see 3GB of your installed memory. I wonder what's causing it. I know I probably can't do anything about it, but I am curious.

Just a guess here, but could it be that 32-Bit Windows is limited to 3GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Just a guess here, but could it be that 32-Bit Windows is limited to 3GB?

Also, the older Intel chips only supported 3GB memory. To find out whether it's the chip or Windows (not that it really matters); open Activity Monitor under OS X and it will show total available memory (don't go by System Profiler... it will show you have 4GB installed, but not how much of it is usable).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 4 gig ram 200 gig hd [5400rpm :( but like the longer battery life.]
I have a 2.4 ghz intel core duo
4 gb of ram, it show 4 gig in activity monitor, 4 gig in system profile, but in boot camp / vista it shows 3 gig - not really sure what's going on there... but it does not seem to be an EIF issue / Firmware issue as lepord see's it just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 4 gig ram 200 gig hd [5400rpm :( but like the longer battery life.]
there was another thread i found in this same forum about this... and i just confirmed what it said

I am running 32 bit vista w/ boot camp, to get the full 4 gig, i have to be running the 64 bit vista, which apparently is buggy as all get out under boot camp so no thanks... (not to mention driver h@#$ as nothing supports it)

http://www.vistaclues.com/reader-question-32-bit-vista-memory-limits/

-Deva

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.