OS X Networking Problem

Reaction score
The problem is pretty simple I guess maybe I just overlooked something,

I have 4 laptops(including this one MacBook) at home and a Desktop PC. 2 Laptops Win XP, 1 Ubuntu, my MacBook runs Ubuntu and OS X. the 4 laptops are connected by 802.11 G wireless cards to a 3Com Router which is intern bridged with a DSL modem to provide all hosts Internet. The PC is connected by LAN cable. All hosts have the Internet running smoothly no problems with that. The problem is really strange and moreover only confined to OS X and that to only when using Airport that is the wireless card. The Internet works fine, I cannot however ping or for that matter share things with the other windows hosts or the Ubuntu machine. If however i put in a Lan cable into the Gigabit Ethernet port I can ping everyone receive pings etc and share resources.

This is not a firewall issue I have done all that and actually test with all firewalls down first before adding exceptions to tables etc. The Airport Connection cannot see any other host on the LAN apart from the router. arp -a confirms this and when using Airport the kernel routing tables show no knowledge of other hosts. arp -a when using the Gigabit port however gives detailed machine names routes etc. so its really a thing with airport. To make things even stranger I can host services from my MacBook using the Airport card because like I said it sees the router and the Internet works I have tested Tomcat Apache services VNC etc all work from the Internet.

If I boot ubuntu into Ubuntu I can do everything with the Wireless and the problem vanishes. I first thought it was one of those Airport not working with certain routers thingies but even after all of apples updates ... nothing.

any suggestions.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Read through the Wireless Networking FAQ (link in my signature), that should help get you started.

The AirPort card has some eccentricities related to encryption and SSID broadcast. If you follow my FAQ, it should get you straightened out.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would help but have never had your issues at all here or anywhere else I have worked with Macs and PC's in a network using either WiFi or Wired.

CWA107 was not trying to increase his post count but help you. If he read your post wrong, it's no reason to jump down his throat. We all make mistakes.

Since it works Wired it has me stumped as it should do the same with WiFi. It might be a setting but like I said I have never ran into this before. I will check and see if I can find something for you. I have a large network here of Macs and PC both Wired and Wireless.

OP
A
Reaction score
ha!

i apologize ... perhaps a tad to harsh wasnt i ...
its just frustration thats all .. i apologize ...

please post back if u find anything anything at all ... its driving me nuts

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Out of curiosity which version of OSX is installed? Is it updated to 10.4.10?

OP
A
Reaction score
actually i have like a slow DSL thingy ... it goes max 40 KBps .. do apple updates resume if interrupted in between ??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not that I know of. Reason I asked about which OSX version is some people have been complaining about 10.4.10 and Airport on some Macs. Still checking around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.