Where does the default application install?

Reaction score
When I install an application, where does short cut default to? I see that it puts an icon on some of the application on my desktop but when I restart the system it disappear and it's not in the application folder. I would have to click on the DMG file again to bring the shortcut back up.

What I've been doing is I copy a short cut from the folder that pop after the install and just put it on my desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
When I install an application, where does short cut default to? I see that it puts an icon on some of the application on my desktop but when I restart the system it disappear and it's not in the application folder. I would have to click on the DMG file again to bring the shortcut back up.

What I've been doing is I copy a short cut from the folder that pop after the install and just put it on my desktop.

Well, most of the apps you download comes in DMG form(Disk Images). When you double click it will create a virtual drive and display the application on finder. If you want to install permanently, copy it(<Appname>.app) to the Applications folder(You should have admin. rights to do so).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.