I converted twice in a week. PC to MB to MBP

Reaction score
After using the Macbook for a week, I decided that for the weight difference between he MB and MBP I might as well get the 15.4" screen. So yesterday I swapped my MB for a MBP.

When my gf saw that the keyboard light up, she said " Hey I want a MBP, why did you get me a Dell for" ROLF!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP: 2gig CD
nice work now all you need to do is get rid of that dell and you'll be good to go

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
Eh, whatever, I like both PCs and Macs.

OP
D
Reaction score
yah I agree, both have their strength and weakness. There are certain things that I wouldn't do on a Mac that I would do on Vista vice versa.

With that said, I've not turn my Dell m140 on since I bought the macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
I agree as well, I enjoy PCs, Macs, and various distributions of Linux. Yes, I'm what they call a *****, but whatever.

I wouldn't say I would get Dell products, but the OS is decent (XP). Haven't played with Vista much, but I didn't have all those horrific problems people had with XP. I maintained my windows machine very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Reaction score
After using the Macbook for a week, I decided that for the weight difference between he MB and MBP I might as well get the 15.4" screen. So yesterday I swapped my MB for a MBP.
Now that you've owned both, care to give us a mini comparison review?

:)

OP
D
Reaction score
Sure why not....... let me give this a whirl.

Macbook
2.16ghz C2D
1gb Ram
160gb HDD
Bluetooth
SuperDrive

Goods:
1.Standard glossy screen
2.Portable
3.Options of colors black/white

Bads:
1.Weight to size ratio (only a few oz lighter than pro but still portable for size)
2.Finger prints easilly smear on shell
3.keyboard is semi clicky like no other laptop in the market.
4.No built in DVI (dongle required)

Macbook Pro
2.16ghz
1gb C2D
120gb HDD
SuperDrive
Bluetooth

Goods:
1.Aluminum silver finish keeping the shell clean and easy to clean
2.weight to dimension ratio (only a few oz more than the MB)
3.ambient keyboard lightings (one of a kind)
4.keyboard "click" feels more what I'm used to
5.onboard DVI out

Bads:
1.Keyboard is a little too spaced apart
2.only 1 color option
3.Dimension

Most of the things I listed here are focused on design/layout and standard options to compare. The more technical specs will be based on each users requirement so I don't think it'll make a difference. Beside both of the system I have have identical processing specs so I really can't tell.

Even though the MBP have a dedicated video vs the 950 intel onboard of the MB. I'm able to play HD video using an onboard 945 so I don't see why the 950 wouldn't be able to.

With that said, I don't play games so I will never be able to tell the difference.

Until I need 3 or 4gb of Ram I will probably never take the MBP to its full potential. It just kills me when I know there's something out there that's better and I don't have it. ;D it all boils down to bragging rights at this point. O:)

OP
D
Reaction score
I kept the MBP for a few reasons.

1. Future proof, in case I need 4g of rams in the future.
2. Onboard DVI (I often hook my notebook to my LCD to watch a movie)
3. The shell is easier to clean (I have dirty hands most of the time :Oops: )
4. The girls always stare at my lap in the dark cause it glows. ;D
5. I must have the best

But I decided to keep the MBP mainly for it's weight to size ratio. It's only 3oz more than the MB and it fits in the same bag that I currently use for the MB anyways. So at the end of the day, I'm walking around with the exact same baggage size + 3oz.

On a more technical review the MBP is actually .08" thinner than the MB, making the MBP only 12.24 square inches larger than the MB.

However, if you plan on taking this on the airline I wouldnt recommend it unless you're in first class or at least business class. You'll have a hard time opening the screen upward to face you cause the lack of leg room. You'll need to pull the keyboard to your chest and flip the lcd open. Unless you're really flexible and can type with your arms crossed, stay with the MB.

Reaction score
However, if you plan on taking this on the airline I wouldnt recommend it unless you're in first class or at least business class. You'll have a hard time opening the screen upward to face you cause the lack of leg room. You'll need to pull the keyboard to your chest and flip the lcd open. Unless you're really flexible and can type with your arms crossed, stay with the MB.
Funny that you say that, since I was on a flight just last night. My 12.1" Dell works perfectly on a plane, but I was wondering how a larger laptop would do.

Tell me, would the MBP work on a plane if you don't need to type? (like if you're just watching a movie?) Or is it too big/uncomfortable for even that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
My friend has a 17" HP laptop... it's totally "portable"...cough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
I really don't see how 17" are portable. Unless you're not a smaller person. Because otherwise it's definitely heavy / large.

OP
D
Reaction score
Funny that you say that, since I was on a flight just last night. My 12.1" Dell works perfectly on a plane, but I was wondering how a larger laptop would do.

Tell me, would the MBP work on a plane if you don't need to type? (like if you're just watching a movie?) Or is it too big/uncomfortable for even that?

Not sure about the MBP since haven't been on a plane in the last week. But when I travel a few weeks ago, my 14.1" dell barely fit ok, but not very comfortable when you have to move around. While my gf's 12.1 dell fit nicely. If the person in the front laid back then it'll be a tight fit. It'll fit I'm sure, but it won't be comfortable do to the width and size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.