SNES9X heavy on processor

Reaction score
As soon as I start using SNES9X my CPU temperature goes really high, and then the fan starts going really loud so I end up closing it.

I've got a macbook, 2ghz intel core 2 duo, 1gb ram.
Anybody else find it heavy on CPU? Any suggestions on how to minimize the CPU usage, or maybe an alternative emulator that uses less resources?

Cheers, James.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
is it universal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
from what i hear all emulators are going to be resource hogs because emulation isnt the easiest thing in the world
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
yea, every emulator i have used on my mac (at least 10) have taken a lot of resources and 'cause my comp to get pretty hot, it's totally normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually I downloaded my Snes9X from here:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/2560/snes9x.html

And it seems to work just fine.

And on my old 333 mhz machine all of the games apart from the ones that used the super FX chip worked just fine. But on my new intel C2D imac evey game works just fine and relatively light on the cpu.

I don't see the problem to be honest.

But if you're after an alternate SNES emilatore for OS X I don't think there is any that work as well as Snes9X.

OP
litleshortarse
Reaction score
Hmmmm, BSNES and snes9X get my cpu temperature up into the 70's and the fan is spinning at 6200rpm.
I just find it a bit strange, SNES emulation was no problem on my windows machines in the past, and this laptop can run star wars jedi academy for quite some time before it starts struggling, the fan just speeds up but its nothing compared to this SNES emulation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Emulators are bound to be CPU-intensive, as Ki99 says. They are working very hard all the time. Windows in a VM usually has a similar effect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.