Replacing the PSU

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between the iMacs and the MacPro. One of the things I'm concerned about is the PSU in the iMac. Being that the iMac is so thin I was wondering about the limits of the psu. I was wondering how long the iMac's (24") would last on average. Can we replace it outself? Or must we take it to an Apple Store or service center?

And since I am talking psu...would any one know how much more powerful the MacPro's psu is? What is it's wattage? I'm assuming it would last twice as long?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I must be dense. What is a PSU? We have the 24" and an iMac DV and a G4. Never heard of a PSU other than through my doctor!:D

OP
D
Reaction score
I must be dense. What is a PSU? We have the 24" and an iMac DV and a G4. Never heard of a PSU other than through my doctor!:D

Spoken like a true Mac owner! JOKING!! :)

A "PSU" is a "power supply unit". Every computer or amplifier has one.

How long have you had your 24" iMac? How do you like it? Any quirks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
We have had the 24" coupled with a 22" extra monitor on 24 hrs per day (put to sleep at bedtime) for about 6 months. It was refreshed and has no issues. We run Parallels M-F on one monitor and Mac on the other. No issues and it is stock from Apple store. One word to describe is beautiful.

On the other hand my DV has died and it was 8 years old and the PSU did die. Rather than fix it again - we put the money into the 24 and I recycled the DV.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have never had issues with a Power Supply in any of the Macs I have owned. Only one old Mac Plus I had that was at the time 15 years old had issues. My other Macs, (Some are 15 years old) all still work. My iMI ac G5 2.1Ghz with iSight has been running 24 a day for almost 2 years now. Not an issue and I stress it out all the time. 15 things working at once. 100% CPU folding and running apps all at the same time. Most reliable computer I have owned at this point.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have never had issues with a Power Supply in any of the Macs I have owned. Only one old Mac Plus I had that was at the time 15 years old had issues. My other Macs, (Some are 15 years old) all still work. My iMI ac G5 2.1Ghz with iSight has been running 24 a day for almost 2 years now. Not an issue and I stress it out all the time. 15 things working at once. 100% CPU folding and running apps all at the same time. Most reliable computer I have owned at this point.

Sounds like all the Mac computers have good battery/PSU life. So I guess if i pick up a 24" iMac I shouldn't have any worries. Just wondered if we can change the PSU ourselves or if you still have to bring the whole iMac to an Apple Store to get it done. How much are they?

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.