Advice for current Windows user looking to switch...

Reaction score
To wait for leopard or not to wait, this is the question.

OK, so my Windows system finally just died. I've got the IT guy at work trying to atleast retrieve my personal files. And I've been planning on holding out switching to Mac til October when leopard is released. But now that my other PC is dead, and I'm stuck using a POS laptop, I'm wondering if the wait is really necessary and/or worth it.

My concern was that waiting meant I get leopard, but also a computer updated in many other ways. Who knows whats going to be on the leopard machines?? Not me, never been too smart on computers anyway.

So, should I wait. Or should I get a Mac now, and then just upgrade the OS when leopard comes out?

Any advice would be sooooooo appreciated. My last few months of computer dealings have been a nightmare with spyware and Trojan Horses on my Windows unit....which ultimately led to its death...along w/ old age (7yrs old).

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
If you need it now, buy it now.

OP
C
Reaction score
OK well disregard my question. After doing a simple search on the subject, it seems the question has been asked all too often, with numerous replies. Looks like I'll try to talk to wife into going to the Apple store this weekend and purchasing an iMac 20". Besides, its gonna take a bit of getting used to these infamous "keyboard shortcuts". Sounds frightening, but only because I'll have to teach them to the wife, who doesn't quite have the patience I do.

So no need to respond, unless ya just really feel like I'm headed the wrong direction.

Great forum btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Besides, its gonna take a bit of getting used to these infamous "keyboard shortcuts". Sounds frightening, but only because I'll have to teach them to the wife, who doesn't quite have the patience I do.

So no need to respond, unless ya just really feel like I'm headed the wrong direction.

Great forum btw.

Oh I dunno. Six months after I got my first Mac, I bought a Mac for my wife. I spent about 30 minutes showing her the basics then stood back to wait for the inevitable flood of questions.

There were no questions. The nature of Mac OS X is that you can pretty much figure out how to do everything you need to, and that is precisely what she did.

Reaction score
Yes - Search is key in forums ;)

Good luck with your new mac, and remember it will take a while to get used to, but well worth the wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
...I've got the IT guy at work trying to atleast retrieve my personal files....
The IT guy where I work (a cubicle over from mine) often gets stuck with these sorts of side jobs. I pity him sometimes.
...waiting meant I get leopard, but also a computer updated in many other ways. Who knows whats going to be on the leopard machines??
In my experience, Apple doesn't synchronize its new hardware and software releases. For the most part, Apple puts out new hardware when it's available, and new software when its done. Except for the Macworld conferences (which, lately, have been more like iPodworld conferences) product releases fall where they may.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.