Getting a new Macbook Pro, OS question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz Core2Duo, 4gb PC5300 RAM, 200gb 7200RPM HD, nVidia 8600m GT 512mb
Hi everyone, I am a long time PC user and for the first time I am going to get a Macbook for college. Some of my cousins have told me that Macs are much better for the college life and so on :D. I have already decided to get the 15" 2.4GHz model, but am having trouble deciding whether to buy the laptop now with OS X Tiger or wait until October for OS X Leopard to be released. From what I have gathered, there was a hardware upgrade on Macbook's last month, so I'm assuming the hardware will be the same in October? Would it be more logical to buy the Macbook now, with OS X Tiger and upgrade in October for Leopard. Or would it be easier (and I'm sure cheaper) to just wait until October? I have a decent PC notebook that I can use in the meantime, so I will still have a working PC if I wait. Thanks for the help in advance!

EDIT: By the way, I also enjoy playing games on my PC every now and then (WoW, HL2, the usual suspects). I'm aware most of the "bigger" games these days are released for Macs, but for the games that are not, does Bootcamp work decent enough?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Many, many, many, many people ask this same question every day here.

If you want it now and can afford it, then get it now. Unless, like in your case, you already have a capable machine. Waiting will, at the very least, save you the cost of buying Leopard later.
Other than that there isn't much sense in waiting.

OP
Hooahman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the upgrade process relatively easy? I consider myself more than adequate with PCs (built the last desktop I used from scratch), but I've never used a Mac before. Is it a simple setup, like insert CD > hit upgrade > have fun?

And sorry for asking, I actually searched, but didn't find a thread like mine, guess I should have used better keywords :p.

OP
Hooahman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome, thanks for the help :).

Reaction score
If you buy this summer you get a free iPod Nano. We just made the same decision though we bought the 2.2. I'm putting Windows XP Home on it via bootcamp right now.

OP
Hooahman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already have an iPod nano, though it is one of the older models, but it works great ;). Let me know how bootcamp works out for you, will you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
bootcamp works great, the problem with bootcamp is not bootcamp itself, it is the windows platform.

Reaction score
i heard that mbp will be upgraded in october ,however its gonna be only faster cpu c2d t7800 extreme which clocked to 2,6 ghz .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
i heard that mbp will be upgraded in october ,however its gonna be only faster cpu c2d t7800 extreme which clocked to 2,6 ghz .

There is a rumor that Intel will have new 45 nm CPUs ready, but unsure whether they will make it into the MBP for Leopard's launch.

As far as the iPod Nano - it's FREE after rebate. So is the $100 printer you can get. Who cares if you'll use the stuff, huck it up on eBay or Craigslist. Either way you look at it, the summer is a GREAT time to buy Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.