parallels and type of win xp

Reaction score
I have a disc from my dell computer that has windows xp sp1 on it. Everyone keeps telling me that you can't run windows discs from other computer brands and you need sp2 as well. Is this true?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a disc from my dell computer that has windows xp sp1 on it. Everyone keeps telling me that you can't run windows discs from other computer brands and you need sp2 as well. Is this true?

Yes it is. Branded OEM versions of Windows XP are tied specifically to that vendor's hardware. Also, if you install a copy of Windows XP that has already been installed on another machine, it will cause problems with product activation on the other machine.

To sum it up, you can't use a branded OEM copy. Even if it does happen to work, it is illegal according to the EULA and will disable the computer that it was originally intended to run on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.