Maxtor USB hard drive on Mac OSX

M

moosehead

I am using a Maxtor 120G external hard drive with my Imac running OSX. The computer recognizes the drive but indicates NO_NAME as the drive name. I haver tried to change it manually by going to Get Info tab but it will not let me change it. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Go to Applications/Disk Utility and see if the drive mounts there....You may need to reformat it for OS X since it most likely came FAT32 or NTFS for windows in which case the drive would be read only

Reaction score
Trouble Loading a Maxtor External Hard Drive

I just bought a Maxtor external hard drive but can't figure out how to format it for my macbook. Can someone explain, omitting no detail, however slight? Assume total ignorance!

Thanks a lot!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your new Maxtor hard drive is probably formatted as NTFS. In order to format it so that it will be read\write capable from your MacBook you'll need to use either FAT-32 or HFS+. FAT-32 is compatible with most operating systems but can not be used with Time Machine. If you intend to use the drive as backup for Time Machine, you will have to use HFS+.

Attach the drive to your MacBook. It should mount on your desktop. Open Utilities, Disk Utilities. Highlight the line that shows the disk capacity. Click erase at the top of the screen. Now select the format you wish to use. (see info above)

Name the drive if you wish. Click on erase again and the formatting should begin. May take a while if the drive is large. Once it's done the drive will be ready for read\write from your MacBook.

This website may help. Link

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.