Nikon Picture Project vs iPhoto

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a proud new owner of a Nikon D40X which came bundled with the Nikon Picture Project software. Having made the switch to mac around 3 months ago, I've been quite happy with iPhoto. Does the new software provide me with anything iPhoto doesn't? Is it worthwhile making my default software?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Hi guys,

I'm a proud new owner of a Nikon D40X which came bundled with the Nikon Picture Project software. Having made the switch to mac around 3 months ago, I've been quite happy with iPhoto. Does the new software provide me with anything iPhoto doesn't? Is it worthwhile making my default software?

Thanks!

If it's anything like photoshop elements that comes with Canon DSLR's, it's going to be a basic photo editing software. iPhoto is mainly for viewing and arranging photos and not as much for editing them...

OP
LusoLeopard
Reaction score
Kinda dissapointed I can't use RAW with PProject. Looks like I'll have to shell out for more software. Is there a visible difference between JPG and RAW? Sorry if that's a pretty silly question!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I also doubt that the Nikon software is native Mac software. It's probably a cheap Windows port if anything. I'd stick with iPhoto.

OP
LusoLeopard
Reaction score
I quite like iPhoto, and I understand that Aperture has a similar "feel" to it, but just with more features. Are there any other options (especially if they are cheaper...).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well you can use iPhoto for organizing, etc and use something like Photoshop Elements for editing.

What are you looking to do as far as editing? iPhoto seems to meet the needs of most average people with the editing tools that are built in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
RAW allows for greater editing and post processing capabilities. JPEG comes from the camera with effects added and compression done. RAW is the image as it's taken. Straight out of the camera, it may not look better, but your camera is usually set to sharpen, and make other minor adjustments to JPEGs stock. Something like Photoshop, Aperture, Lightroom, will let you adjust exposure, white balance, and many other things after the picture is taken. The only down side is that you're going to have to convert all your photos...

Reaction score
I googled this very question about IPhoto vs. Picture Project with my new Nikon and found this forum and registered. I have used both but don't find them significantly different.

Reaction score
Hi! I would like to ask a related question. I am sorry if this may sound a little too amateur.

I installed all Nikon software on my iMac and everytime I open iPhoto there is a pop up that asks me if I would like to use iPhoto when I connect my digital camera. I'd like to use iPhoto as from now and delete all Nikon software. Is that possible?

At the same time, I haven't installed any Nikon software on my Macbook because I am not sure if I can connect the camera without it and just use iPhoto, directly.

Can anybody help me with these questions? :/ Thank you!!

Reaction score
Nikon Picture Project vs iphoto

Hi, I've had similar questions myself. I also have a D40 and installed the Nikon software when I got the camera, but prefer iphoto. To bypass the Nikon software (I haven't uninstalled it...yet!), don't hook up your camera until AFTER you actually open iphoto. Then connect the cable, turn on the camera. It should then ask you if you want to download the photos. You will probably still get the Nikon software popping up but I just ignore it & proceed w/ iphoto. I hope this helps

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Wow this is an old thread. If you don't want OS X to open up an application or you do but a different one, go to Applications>Image capture then file>preferences and set the default setting to whatever you want it to be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.