New PB 12" RevC or pre-owned PB15" RevB

W

wei

I need some opinion here, pls help and thanks in advance!

here is my option:
brand new PB 12" RevC Combo
or a 9 month old PB 15" Combo (with AirPort Extreme Card, no AppleCare and the rest are as original factory specs) - $1300

im not sure which to choose... :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
OP
L

lzasitko

choose one of....

The rev C are nice, I just bought a 12" (rev c) with the superdrive, added another 512meg of ram. I looked at the 15" but decided for portability I wanted the 12.... the 15 just seems huge in comparison. Rev c has some advantages, faster 1.33ghz or 1.5ghz, faster front side cache, more video ram though in the 12 you can only get 64meg while the rev c 15 and 17 has the option of 128meg. Hard drives are bigger than they were. All in all I found a maked difference in speed between a 12" 1ghz (rev b) and the 1.33ghz.

If you need screen size over portability the 15 for that money is pretty hard to beat. You can up to the end of the first year add applecare so that is not much of an issue.

OP
W

wei

yeah, it is a hard decision. I'll get to see the 15" PB soon. Although it is an used model, but the seller promissed it was at good condition.

anything i should look at to be sure the PB is at good condition?

OP
W

wei

Graeme43 said:

here's the specs:
NEW - Rev C 12" PB (M9183SA/A)
- 1.33GHz G4
- 256MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
- GeForce FX Go5200 64MB VRAM
- 60GB 4200RPM HDD
- Combo drive
- Built-in Airport Extreme Card

9month old - Rev B 15" PB (M8980LL/A)
- 1GHz G4
- 256MB + 256MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
- ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 64MB VRAM
- 60GB 4200RPM HDD
- Combo Drive
- Built-in Airport Extreme Card
- No Applecare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
PowerBook 15 i say...... even tho it is used

OP
M

MoltenLava

The difference between 12" and 15" is quite a lot. To me they are completely different machines. I like 12" because it's small and lightweight. 15" is good, but at 6lbs it's somewhat cumbersome to carry around. If you are torn between the two, you probably don't care too much about portability, in which case 15" will be better for you because it provides 50% more viewing area.

BTW, check out eBay more often. I saw brand new 15" Ti G4 Powerbook listed today for $1500 buy-it-now. It's probably sold by now. There are a lot of good deals on eBay. The only problem is the good ones go real fast, usually within 3 hours of listing.

OP
W

wei

MoltenLava said:
BTW, check out eBay more often. I saw brand new 15" Ti G4 Powerbook listed today for $1500 buy-it-now. It's probably sold by now. There are a lot of good deals on eBay. The only problem is the good ones go real fast, usually within 3 hours of listing.

Do you think $1300 for a 9month old PB is expensive? I dont think I'll want it from ebay, since most I've found there are either in europe or US. Im staying in Malaysia, hard to arrange the payment & shipment... anyway thanks for your helpful reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.