iMac vs Mac mini vs Mac Pro

Reaction score
hi guys1 i was wondering if anyone can help me out on this? I'm planning to get a mac to replace my windows desktop. I brought a macbook pro recently and for me it's just great. What do you suggest? mac mini? mac pro? or imac? I've heard that for the iMac. If you leave it on overnight. too much heat coming from the vent at the back would sometimes cause the casing to crack. The top corners are most vulnerable to crack due to heat.

can anyone help me on this? thanks so much...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
If you can afford a mac pro go for it. I wish i could, but i had to settle for a 20 inch imac. :). I love it though. I am able to run dreamweaver, photoshop, and aperture all at the same time with out a hitch. I leave mine on all the time, and have yet to have a problem with heat, but i have only had mine for about a 2 weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
The iMac is a great machine.
Unless your doing protein folding or searching for aliens all night long, you're not going to get much heat. Everything is idling.
Before bed I close every program and empty the trash. But I leave it on. So the scheduled cleanup routines can run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I've heard that for the iMac. If you leave it on overnight. too much heat coming from the vent at the back would sometimes cause the casing to crack. The top corners are most vulnerable to crack due to heat.

Absolute rubbish!

What are you using your Mac for? The Mac Pro is more for professional use, whereas the Mini is the cheapest but has no screen, keyboard or mouse.

New iMacs probably come out on 7th August.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Is the new Imac that one of the picture i have seen floating around here on this forum?

Reaction score
It depends on what you want to do with your computer. If youre just going to be surfing the web and checking email then a mac mini will be fine bear in mind you will have to buy a screen for it too which will cost you another 150 bucks at least if you buy a 17 inch LCD thats not an apple cinema display. The Imacs come with a more powerful processor and a screen so its a fairly compact machine. I leave my imac on all the time it prob gets shutdown once a month at the most the casing doesnt crack it does run very warm though. The imacs come with good options for processors and HD's and RAM etc etc. The mac pro is the mother of all macs. If you need to use things like final cut or pro tools etc etc it will run just fine. These programs will also run on an imac but might be slightly slugish depending on what youre doing. The biggest factor is the price point. If you can afford to buy a mac pro at least $2500 just for the tower, you will have to buy a screen, then i say go for it. You can upgrade the hard drives and the RAm in all the machines whenever you want. HD upgrade is a little more tricky but not impossible.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed on the iMac, that is total garbage about the case cracking due to heat. I have a 2.1 Ghz iMac G5 iSight. The G5 put out a lot of heat and I run mine 24 a day doing work and even 6 months of Full 100% CPU doing folding. Had it almost 2 years now and no CRACKS. Runs as good as the day I brought it home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Is the new Imac that one of the picture i have seen floating around here on this forum?

There are no pictures, just guessed mockups that people have made.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.