Spaces & windows

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have just read apple's own article or features on their site regarding how to organize your spaces when you are working on multiple programs. I havent got a Mac (just yet,.. maybe till next mont..=p) so I might be asking a ridiculous question. Will working on 4 different programs on 4 different windows on your monitor be a lot easier or managing it by minimizing windows you're not working on & be seen on the taskbar(PC) & alternate windows (alt+tab)?

When you minimize windows of any programs in Mac, it will not appear on your Dock, will it?

thanks.

Reaction score
When you minimize windows of any programs in Mac, it will not appear on your Dock, will it?

yes it will in the right hand side part, near the trash can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
any open but minimised apps eg. iTunes will appear on the dock next to the Trash Can. however using spaces it would be easier becuase the applications would be open but in a different "screen" or space as it were. meaning the app is there where you need it. i have used leopard for a short while but went back to tiger becuase of compatability with my external hdd and time machine etc. its good but needs some refining im sure the final release will be amazing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Spaces isn't about window management as much as it is a way to organize your workflow.

The idea is to have multiple "virtual" desktops so that you can organize your work more efficiently. For example, if you're a programmer you might have a text editor opened, a compiler and a debugging tool. You can run those on one of the virtual desktops, keeping them separate from the rest of your programs like your email, IM client and web browser.

Other operating systems have had this capability for years - it's most common on Linux, although Microsoft has published one of it's "power toys" that does the same thing for Windows (called Virtual Desktop Manager).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.