Essential Applications for a mac switcher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Hi guys,

I am counting the days until I switch and it isn't long!
I just wanted to know what applications I will need for the switch.

The only software that I might need immediately for the switch (which I don't already have) are:

CD/DVD burning software, DVD authoring software, win rar / zip app, an app which lets me play all kinds of video files in either quicktime or windows media player & DVD backup software. - ALL preferably free, but if not it doesn't matter.

Any suggestions?

Also, if there are any cool apps or essentials I have not thought of let me know, i really appreciate this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
First things first...U dont need a burning software to begin with...u can make a burn folder and burn ur cds/dvds from there...If thats not enough for ya u can buy Toast 8 which is great.
For zip/rar/etc u just need to download stuffit, which is free.
No dont install windows media player to ur Mac pls -.-"
U just need vlc player which is again free and can play subs and all video formats. (is something like bs player but lighter).
I think u could be fine with those to begin with, well at least i was ok with them. Also i found a very useful lil app that adds on ur right click a "New File" option which is very handy..take .
that too, for free
Hope that helps :)

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahh! thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
VLC is alright, but I myself use Flip4Mac and Perian. Those two apps will allow pretty much everything to play within Quicktime, which I prefer. Your choice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hi guys,

The only software that I might need immediately for the switch (which I don't already have) are:

CD/DVD burning software, DVD authoring software, win rar / zip app, an app which lets me play all kinds of video files in either quicktime or windows media player & DVD backup software. - ALL preferably free, but if not it doesn't matter.

Any suggestions?

Also, if there are any cool apps or essentials I have not thought of let me know, i really appreciate this.

In addition to the sticky that Eric linked you to, the search feature on this forum will yield a ton of results on this topic.

It's always best to check the stickies and use search as you'll find a wealth of information on most topics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Hi guys,

Any suggestions?

CD/DVD burning: OS X can handle this without additional software, but I highly recommend Toast which has a lot more options/features.

DVD authoring: Every new Mac comes with iDVD.

RAR/ZIP: OS X has a built in utility to create/expand ZIP files, and comes with Stufit Expander which will expand RAR and a whole lot more. You can buy a full version of Stufit for more features.

Video Playing: VLC will play just about anything you throw at it. It's open source and free (so you can play with it on Windows before your switch).

DVD Backup: Providing you're willing to buy Dual Layer DVDs you can do this "free" by using MacTheRipper, and then burning the resulting folder normally. If you want to stick to single layer DVDs, then you'll need to pay some monnies for a "shrinker". There are a few products that will will do this, but my fave is MacTheRipper + Toast (Like I said I highly recommend Toast).

You really don't need (or want) WMP for Mac; but Flip4Mac will let you watch WMV files embedded into webpages, which VLC wont.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
I wish Windows Media Player Classic was easy to install on the Mac. Personally, it's better than VLC to me because you can maximize the window while maintaining the same video screen size (so you have a black, full screen behind your video frame). Last time I checked, VLC doesn't have this ability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I know you'll eventually encouter this somewhere along the way, but, get QUICKSILVER. Superb program that much more than a file launcher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
I cannot recommend Quicksilver enough. Just install it and try it out, at first just as a launcher, but then it can become so much more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
Quicksilver is apparently one of the best applications for a Mac that no one can describe, haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's because everyone uses it differently. I use it to rate songs in iTunes as they play, open applications and folders, move files, etc.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds cool. I'll definintely check that out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I wouldn't call Quicksilver essential though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is for me, though Your Mileage May Vary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
u need something called search

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
It is for me, though Your Mileage May Vary.

Yeah, Quicksilver helps so much with multitasking, and navigating with only my keyboard. For a laptop user like me, keyboard navigation is a huge plus!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I tried Quicksilver for a few days and then got rid of it because I never used it. I'll have to try it again for a bit and see what happens; but at this stage I wouldn't call it essential.

Actually, the first thing I would install is AcidSearch; without it I'd still be using FireFox (not that there's anything wrong with FireFox).

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll have a look. Anyone know of any other cool apps that are exclusive to mac?

M

MacHeadCase

In addition to the sticky that Eric linked you to, the search feature on this forum will yield a ton of results on this topic.

It's always best to check the stickies and use search as you'll find a wealth of information on most topics.

This sticky was mentionned before, it has all the info you need so look it up: A switcher's guide to OS X Software. This subject has been brought up so many times...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.