First problem on new mac

Reaction score
I have encountered my first problem with my mac. Its not reading blank cds or dvds. I am trying to install bootcamp, and when it prompts me to insert a blank cd, I do but it doesnt read it. You hear it spin, then click a little bit, then it ejects. Any ideas?

*I tried a different brand of dvd. Now it gives me an error saying that the disk failed to calibrate toe correct laser power or something. My superdrive seems not as "super" as advertised.

*UPDATE I tried a regular retail audio CD and I still got the "clicks", then the MBP eventually spits out the CD. I would really like to find out whats wrong, because this is preventing me from installing bootcamp and other applications, as well as not allowing me to transfer files. I have only had this thing for a day and a half and have been loving it, but this issue with the superdrive is making me concerned. Does anyone know if this is a common problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Couple of things we need to know here:

1. What kind of Mac are you using? We know it has a super drive, but we need to know a little more.

2. If it's a MacBook Pro, you need to make sure that you've run software update. There is a Super Drive firmware update that was released for it about a week or two ago. Make sure that's installed, then try to read the CDs/DVDs again.

If this doesn't work, make a reservation at your local Apple store's genius bar, they'll be more than willing to help. Macs are computers too, and no computer is error proof.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
the superdrive firmware update wasn't just for the macbook pro, i'm pretty sure it was for every mac with a superdrive. so no matter what mac you have, make sure you have the update.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have a Santa Rosa MBP 15 inch 2.4 ghz. I have updated all that I can with the Apple Automatic Update, do I have to get the firmware update manually?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, if you've run Software Update you have everything.

Among not recognizing blanks, if it will also not play a regular audio CD, the drive is probably kaput.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hmmm, not what i wanted to hear. The last thing I want is to have to send this away or exchange it for a new one. I had to wait 3 weeks for this one. Second opinions :p

Also, it reads some disks, but not others...is it super sensitive to dirt and scratches or something?

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, I ended up taking it to an apple dealer, so now I have to wait until they fix it, what an annoyance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
ohwell atleast its getting fixed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
yeah, always a bummer when your rig goes down.
think i'd go thru withdrawal

OP
A
Reaction score
Honestly, I kinda am going through withdraw. I was really enjoying the first 2 days, now its back to the waiting game.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.