Buying online vs. in Apple Store

Reaction score
So I am looking to upgrade in a few months and my g/f is thinking about getting an iMac as well. I have been doing some thinking lately, is there any advantage to buying a Mac in the Apple Store in a say, a mall, rather than ordering it online?

From what I can gather, if your purchase has free shipping you save a bunch of money because you don't pay sales tax that you would pay in the store. The only downside seems to be that you have to wait for your item to get shipped to you and of course risk it getting damaged (which would mean you have to send it back).

Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Yeah, there's 1 benefit.

You don't have to stand up and go there, you can just sit and do it. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
if your purchase has free shipping you save a bunch of money because you don't pay sales tax that you would pay in the store.
If your state has a sales tax, then it is still charged to online sales on the Apple Store.

It all comes down to whichever one (online or in-store) is more convenient for the buyer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
So I am looking to upgrade in a few months and my g/f is thinking about getting an iMac as well. I have been doing some thinking lately, is there any advantage to buying a Mac in the Apple Store in a say, a mall, rather than ordering it online?

From what I can gather, if your purchase has free shipping you save a bunch of money because you don't pay sales tax that you would pay in the store. The only downside seems to be that you have to wait for your item to get shipped to you and of course risk it getting damaged (which would mean you have to send it back).

Am I missing something?
I'm pretty sure you're going to pay some sales tax when you go to the store. I think the advantage of buying it in store is being able to take it home right then and there. You don't have to wait for it to be shipped to you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
Sales tax is charged online if the company has a retail store in your state. So the sales tax point is moot. At the retail store you can take it home then and there- instant satisfaction!

Reaction score
If you're looking to avoid sales tax try MacMall. I've purchased both of my Macs from them. Not only did I save on the sales tax, I got rebates too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Buy refurbished, Save hundreds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
2nd that of buying refurbished.

the only thing i can think of about buying in the shop is that you get to play with a few different kinds "live" to better make your decisions.

Reaction score
Sales tax is charged online if the company has a retail store in your state. So the sales tax point is moot. At the retail store you can take it home then and there- instant satisfaction!

Actually, it only requires a retail PRESENCE, so if there is an authorized reseller, or in the case of apple any store that sells iPods, in your state, the online store will charge tax. That would be in all states that have a state sales tax for those counting.

Reaction score
I bought mine at CompUSA, they sell for the same price, and I got 6months of no interest on their CC...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM
I was told in the Apple store by the sales guy that they only sell the "stock" computers through the store. If I want to configure my own, say with more memory or a larger hard drive, I have to order online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
I added extra stuff to mine and used the education discount. So my main (or only) option was the online store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2gig Ram 160gig HD---80gig ipod (full)---8gig iphone
I was told in the Apple store by the sales guy that they only sell the "stock" computers through the store. If I want to configure my own, say with more memory or a larger hard drive, I have to order online.

That is true. I ordered my MBP online while in the store and it shiped to my house in 3-4 days

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz 2GB Ram
Use Macmall

If the company you purchase from has a presence in your state you pay sales tax

I bought mine in WA state Mac Mall does not have a presence here so no tax
and a rebate

If I went to the store 8.9%

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
you can get the education discount at the store as well.

True. Unfortunately there aren't any stores in Ottawa, so I had to buy it online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.16 GHz 1GB ram 160 GB HD
What about states that have a tax-free weekend? If you buy it from the online store during that weekend is tax still applied?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.