Consolidating iTunes libraries?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
So I have two separate iTunes libraries, one on my iMac and one on my PowerBook each about 9.5GB respectively. However there's a chance I may be selling the PowerBook soon so I was curious if there's a way to consolidate both libraries without duplicating songs. As in, copying the library off my PowerBook to my iMac and uploading it to the iMac's iTunes but only the songs that the iMac doesn't have are added to the library. Make any sense? Is there a way to do that or is basically 'what you see is what you get'?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
So I have two separate iTunes libraries, one on my iMac and one on my PowerBook each about 9.5GB respectively. However there's a chance I may be selling the PowerBook soon so I was curious if there's a way to consolidate both libraries without duplicating songs. As in, copying the library off my PowerBook to my iMac and uploading it to the iMac's iTunes but only the songs that the iMac doesn't have are added to the library. Make any sense? Is there a way to do that or is basically 'what you see is what you get'?

Thanks!

If I understand correctly, you just want to move the music from PB to your iMac and add the music from your PB to the iMacs library? This can be done easily with an external hdd, just drag the iTunes folder from the PB onto the external, disconnect it, plug it into the iMac and add that folder to you library. Without and external, you could use a firewire cable, attach the two computers with that. Hold T while booting the PB and a blue screen will come up and the PB will be recognized by the iMac as an external drive. Then from there, navigate to your music folder and add it to iTunes. Either would work, but if you have duplicate songs on either computer they will be added twice (unless the ID3 tags are exactly the same). At that point you could use "view" "show duplicates" and go through and manually delete the duplicate songs...

hth, ste

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
If I understand correctly, you just want to move the music from PB to your iMac and add the music from your PB to the iMacs library? This can be done easily with an external hdd, just drag the iTunes folder from the PB onto the external, disconnect it, plug it into the iMac and add that folder to you library. Without and external, you could use a firewire cable, attach the two computers with that. Hold T while booting the PB and a blue screen will come up and the PB will be recognized by the iMac as an external drive. Then from there, navigate to your music folder and add it to iTunes. Either would work, but if you have duplicate songs on either computer they will be added twice (unless the ID3 tags are exactly the same). At that point you could use "view" "show duplicates" and go through and manually delete the duplicate songs...

hth, ste

Huh, that's a pretty sweet solution. Thanks man!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
no problem, let us know if you have any problems...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.