iWork (Pages) problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
I've recently bought iWork as I just really liked the look, feel and ease of use of it but in saying that I'm now having a problem that I can't resolve.

I've created two documents from two separate templates but I want to merge them into one document. In M$ Word I could just select all and paste into a new page but if I do that in Pages all that happens is that the text takes on the formatting of the template I'm pasting into. For example:

Document 1 is based on a 3 column layout whilst Document 2 is based on a 1 column layout. If I select Document 2 and paste it into Document 1 then it carries on in a 3 column layout. If I then change it to a single column layout it alters the original Document 1 layout as well!! Also there is some text in the header of Document 2 that isnt selected when I do a Select All command.

So how can I insert Document 2 into the end of Document 1 so that it retains all it's layout and styles etc?

Reaction score
Not sure if it will work, but give this a try:

1) select all of document 2
2) Command-C to copy the document
3) Switch to document 1 and Command-V to paste the text.
4) Go back to document 2 and select all again
5) This time, press Control-Command-C to copy all of the formatting
6) Go to document 1 and select all of the previously pasted text.
7) Press Control-Command-V to paste the formatting.

In theory, it should work... Lemme know if theory means a darned thing though. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
If you're finished editing both documents, you could paste both into a .pdf file.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Well I eventually found a way of doing it. Not sure it's the best way but it worked.

1. In Document 2 click on the View button and select thumbnail view.
2. Right click in the thumbnail view and select copy pages
3. Open Document 1 and go to thumbnail view
4. Right click in the thumbnail view and select paste.

Thanks to Mongoloido for the next bit
6. Go back to Document 2 and press Control-Command-C to copy all of the formatting
6) Go to document 1 and select all of the previously pasted text.
7) Press Control-Command-V to paste the formatting.

It works but it's a bit of a faff!

What I found suprising is that there is an Import Page option in Pages but that only allows you to import certain pages that I think are part of that particular template. Why haven't Apple added the option of importing ANY page either by creating one from another template or by importing an existing document??

Reaction score
No idea. I have never used Pages. Sounds like one of those instances where Apple has made things simple and easy to the point of being inflexible. Perhaps the next version of iWork will address these issues.

Glad you found a solution. Just a little note: Command-Option-C copies font formatting (font, type size, color, weight, etc). Just thought I'd through that in with the paragraph stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.