Photography

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
I'm new to photography. I decided to go out with my camera yesterday and today and I got some pictures.

http://rp92.deviantart.com/

Please, provide me with some feedback. I want to get better at this.

Reaction score
Richmond, VA, a native of Chapel Hill, N.C.
Your Mac's Specs
17' iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16 1g ram | iPod Photo 60gb | 2G Shuffle
Clicking that link sends you to a pay site. www.photo.net is a great beginner's resource, though. What kind of gear are you working with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
There is also Phototakers.com another good site for beginners.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
Good shots. You need to think about light and composition of the shot.
Check out these sites:

[URL="http://www.photography-gallery.com"]http://www.photo.net
[/URL]

I completely agree with this advice. Another thing i would also suggest is to learn more about depth of field. THE grass meets pavement shot is a gorgeous shot, but it seems that yur focus is to far back as the the trees in the background are in focus. Now you may have ment to do this, but if u had focused more on the middle section of the grass and pavement you would have achieved th sam out of focus bokeh in the front and in the back highlighting a specific section of the shot.

Another idea, but this is sheer personal preference and shooting style that i tend to use. Do not be afraid to have teh main subject of the photo to fall off frame. FOr instance, the "I'll Be Back" photo. Instead of holding the camera landscape, actually hold the camera tilted, so it is neither lanscape or portrait. Go a little closer to the subject and lose the bottom right corner of the photo. This can be done in photoshop after teh fact. IF you would like me to show you waht i am talking about let me know. I would go ahead and do it, but it is your photo, and I have learned not to manipulate other peoples work without thier consent.

But again all beautiful.

OP
Destructive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
I completely agree with this advice. Another thing i would also suggest is to learn more about depth of field. THE grass meets pavement shot is a gorgeous shot, but it seems that yur focus is to far back as the the trees in the background are in focus. Now you may have ment to do this, but if u had focused more on the middle section of the grass and pavement you would have achieved th sam out of focus bokeh in the front and in the back highlighting a specific section of the shot.

Another idea, but this is sheer personal preference and shooting style that i tend to use. Do not be afraid to have teh main subject of the photo to fall off frame. FOr instance, the "I'll Be Back" photo. Instead of holding the camera landscape, actually hold the camera tilted, so it is neither lanscape or portrait. Go a little closer to the subject and lose the bottom right corner of the photo. This can be done in photoshop after teh fact. IF you would like me to show you waht i am talking about let me know. I would go ahead and do it, but it is your photo, and I have learned not to manipulate other peoples work without thier consent.

But again all beautiful.

Thanks for the advice. You can do anything you want to them...I want to actually see what you mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
I would suggest you learn how to compose landscape and portrait shots first, before breaking good rules and tilting the camera. When you find a subject or scene that you like, stop for a minute and decide what is important about what you see in front of you. If its a small detail and you want to keep a tight frame, zoom in and then leave the lens set at a certain focal length, now move around until you have a nice composition. Concentrate on where light is coming from and how it is affecting your subject, and take a look at everything in your frame, what needs to be there and what doesn't?

And please, don't rely on cropping a photo afterwards, it may turn a crap photo into an average photo, but you won't learn anything about composition by simply cropping later on, its a bad habit so kick it now. Get to know the format of your camera and work with its size, if you specifically want a square photo, then shoot an image with the camera but keep in mind you will be cropping out a 3rd of the shot afterwards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.