• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iphone sim free in the uk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Wasn't there another post on Engadget later in the day retracting that statement or at least the info on the site was gone?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 ghz Macbook
i am not sure, i just noticed it on digg and i am not a regular reader or engadget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
If I can't put my Tesco Mobile sim card in it, then no sale.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Wasn't there another post on Engadget later in the day retracting that statement or at least the info on the site was gone?

Yeah, it even says it on the link he posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
If you can buy it sim free in the UK, then surely you can use it anywhere - which is a great way of having an iPhone in the US without being with AT&T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
If you can buy it sim free in the UK, then surely you can use it anywhere - which is a great way of having an iPhone in the US without being with AT&T

But you can't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

I am wondering why you would want a sim free iphone? That would be a CDMA phone and it would likely require carrier support to use it anywhere but with the carrier you have. An unlocked GSM will have more freedom wouldn't it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am wondering why you would want a sim free iphone? That would be a CDMA phone and it would likely require carrier support to use it anywhere but with the carrier you have. An unlocked GSM will have more freedom wouldn't it?

Sorry, that's what I meant by Sim free, unlocked. I know that there are phones that are literally sim free - ignore me, I was using the wrong term.

Reaction score
Not a big deal

in Europe you can remove sim lock from any phone in the mobile phone repair shops, 20 quid or so. Can't see why could that not happen to iPhone once it arrives into EU.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
in Europe you can remove sim lock from any phone in the mobile phone repair shops, 20 quid or so. Can't see why could that not happen to iPhone once it arrives into EU.

Because the iPhone is designed not allow it, I'd guess. That's why it's locked to ATT. Unlocking phones isn't some generic function you can apply to any phone regardless, AFAIK, the phone has to be able to be unlocked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
O2 has won the battle for iphone in the UK.

So i assume it would be like the XDAs and blackberrys, you can buy the iphone with an o2 contract.

But the interesting thing is that, o2 sells all their phones lock free unlike other companies, will iphone be simlock free?

O2 is great anyway, iphones being stuck with o2 contracts isn't a bad thing, they are the best out there at the moment.

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/8516/9540/O2-gets-UK-iPhone-Deal.phtml

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple seems to be partnering with each of the worst phone companies in each country. Nice one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because the iPhone is designed not allow it, I'd guess. That's why it's locked to ATT. Unlocking phones isn't some generic function you can apply to any phone regardless, AFAIK, the phone has to be able to be unlocked.

Every phone can be unlocked. if the phone is being sold in 40 European countries across 40 providers, you don't think they're going to hard code each region to a company do you? It's all in the firmware and so eventually, they get figured out and can be unlocked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Sorry, that's what I meant by Sim free, unlocked. I know that there are phones that are literally sim free - ignore me, I was using the wrong term.

Glad I didn't take your advice to ignore you. Your other posts have been informative. Maybe just the one post :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.