Getting iTunes to play unchecked songs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.16ghz late 2006; White MacBook late 2006; 160gb iPod Classic; 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle
I currently have a 30gb iPod, but have about 45gb+ in my iTunes library. I'm a big fan of syncing as opposed to manually managing my iPod content- it keeps the track and playlist data indentical, and makes things easier to manage IMO. Obviously, in order to be able to keep syncing with a library this size, I have had to uncheck many songs to keep them off the iPod. The downside of this is that they don't play in iTunes, unless I specifically select them. They get skipped in playlists, and when you click on a track on an unchecked album, it stops playing when the selected track ends. Is there any way of getting around this, and making these tracks play in iTunes? I really wish there were separate checking options- one specifically for iPod syncing, and one for iTunes content playback.

Any help/suggestions welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Not as far as I know...

The only solution would be to automatically sync your iPod with a custom smart playlist instead of with your entire library. But then you'd also have to manually check all playlists you create as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Just a thought, can't you make a play list with those songs and play that??

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.16ghz late 2006; White MacBook late 2006; 160gb iPod Classic; 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle
Not as far as I know...

The only solution would be to automatically sync your iPod with a custom smart playlist instead of with your entire library. But then you'd also have to manually check all playlists you create as well...

Just a thought, can't you make a play list with those songs and play that??

Yes, but I would like to have all of my playlists on my iPod, even though I wouldn't have all of the songs. I would like those songs which aren't included on the iPod to play in iTunes. That's the crux of the matter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.