I was wondering...

Reaction score
hey guys,

I was wanting to do something with my music files that is a bit...unusual. I was wondering if there was a way to transfer a large amount of file names to another. Kinda confusing?

All right, say I have 100 audio files (mp3) and I have another 100 audio files (with different audio content). Could I take the file names of the first 100 (in the order that they are shown in the finder menu) and rename the second 100 files with the same names (in that same order).

Weird request I know, but I have audio files with similar content but with different artists. I was gonna copy the names so they have similar names, edit the file names slightly with a renamer, and then edit the id3 tags for the artists so that I can use them on itunes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even the name of the process i am describing so I can google it. It will save me months of work.

Thanks.
arsh89

OP
A
Reaction score
Updat

ok, i was playing around with it a little and I was able to copy the file names from the original 100 files to an excel spreadsheet.

when I copied those file names and attempted to paste over the new files, cmd+v doesn't work and there is no paste option when i ctrl click.

can anybody see a way past this? or know an answer to the original problem.

thanks

OP
A
Reaction score
figured it out for those who are interested:

use the shareware "Renamer" from the app series "A better finder". it gives you the option of renaming files from a save list. use that. it works flawlessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Maybe im misunderstanding your question but doesn't Automator do what you need? It should already be on your Mac

**EDIT** welcome to the forum by the way!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If you're working with ID3 information, I'd check out Doug's Applescripts. He's got lots of scripts that let you manage, mix and swap track info.

http://dougscripts.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.