Onyx, Startup Disk Repair, Disk Permissions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
When I ran Onyx today it said I needed to do a Startup Disk Repair Permissions. It said I had to use the install disk and then bootup with it in the disk drive and then select repair startup disk. What is the difference between this and going to disk utility and repairing permissions on my hard drive that I boot from?

Reaction score
I use OnyX, but I have never gotten that message. Out of curiosity, if you do a Permissions Repair from Disk Utility and then re-check with OnyX, does it tell you the same thing? Obviously, if Disk Utility tells you it cannot repair the permissions, there is some disk corruption and you should try a repair from the install DVD. In an extreme case, a third-party utility (Disk Warrior seems to be highly recommended, but I have not personally used it) may be needed.

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use OnyX, but I have never gotten that message. Out of curiosity, if you do a Permissions Repair from Disk Utility and then re-check with OnyX, does it tell you the same thing? Obviously, if Disk Utility tells you it cannot repair the permissions, there is some disk corruption and you should try a repair from the install DVD. In an extreme case, a third-party utility (Disk Warrior seems to be highly recommended, but I have not personally used it) may be needed.

Yes after I do a permissions repair from disk utility Onyx still gives the same error. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Do what it says. Boot from the DVD and Repair Disk. Not Repair Disk Permissions, click Repair Disk.

Reaction score
Do you have the latest version of onyx? They updated it like a week or two ago.

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes i just downloaded the new version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
When I ran Onyx today it said I needed to do a Startup Disk Repair Permissions.
Well, it comes down to this... either you are reading the message wrong, or the developers wrote it wrong.
;P
Disk Repair and Permissions Repair are two very different things.
The process you described that needs to be done is a Disk Repair. It has nothing to do with Permissions at all.

For more information on Permissions Repair, check out this Apple article:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25751

Or, to learn more about testing and repairing disks, open Disk Utility, in the /Applications/Utilities folder, and choose Help > Disk Utility Help.

Reaction score
I JUST DOWNLOADED THE LATES ONYX. The website say's its version 1.8.1,
when I checked the info on the file it say's version 1.8.2. What version does it say for you guys?

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine says 1.8.2

To D3v1L80Y, to clarify, I am experiencing a need for disk repair. The problem is, my disk drive does not work very well. If I install the tiger disk and depress the 'c' key, it freezes the computer on the grey screen with the apple and then circle of bars.

Seen here from google images:

http://magazine.sharereactor.ru/pictures/Image/Raiker/macosx_x86_review/boot1.jpg

Anyways, I am not sure what to do because my system seems fine, but Onyx says i need to repair disk. I am not sure to worried or what?

Thanks

Reaction score
It could be that your Tiger disk is b0rked, which is the most likely cause of a crash when it's trying to boot from it. See if you can give it a good clean, or get hold of another one. If you ever have any serious problems with OS X, it'd be nice to know you've got a working Tiger disk to hand that can help you out.

I believe when Onyx runs its disk check its similar to running one from Disk Utility; there's obviously a part of your hard drive somewhere that's corrupt for one reason or another. It's not uncommon, and shouldn't really affect your usage of your PC until you come across that part of the hard drive for some reason (like when you begin to run out of space) - so it's better in the long run to get it sorted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook white 13' Core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz, 1.5 G Ram, 160 GB Hard Drive
I actually got the same error message as Jdgaines, when I ran onyx. I actually went through with using the install disk using the disk utility to fix the problem. Booted up the OS and ran Onyx again and Onyx didn't find anything wrong with the startup disk. I think there was something actually wrong with the hard drive.

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I finally got to the Utility Menu from the startup disk after 7 hard restarts (pressed the power button because it froze... :Grimmace: )

So I opened the disk utility and then ran the repair disk.

The disk utility ran and did some "checking":

"...
Checking blah blah
Incorrect number of thread records (red font)
Repairing Volume (green font)
(This happens 2 more times ^)
Checking Catalog Heirarchy
Checking Extended Attributes file
Checkign Volume bitmap
Checking Volume Information
The volume "Internal HD" could not be repaired after 3 attempts. (red font)

1 HFS volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error (red font)
Repair attempted of 1 volume
1 volume could not be repaired
"

Then a pop up box came up that said:

"First Aid Failed
Disk Utility stopped repairing "Internal HD" because the following error was encountered:
The Underlying task reported failure on exit"

Then I clicked ok because there were no other options.

I tried re-repairing one more time. The same thing happened. What does this mean?

Thanks

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this means I need a new Hard Drive right?

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many people online mention a software called disk warrior. Has anyone used this software or could recommend it or another one that is better?

M

MacHeadCase

DiskWarrior is part of my must-have software. It repairs the directories. It has helped me out of tight jams where no matter what I tried I couldn't get anything to work. It doesn't do miracles (it doesn't repair hardware through software, for instance), but it's very good at what it does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.