Listening to an album in iTunes, while navigating through library

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post. My apologies if this has been discussed before.

I am running the latest version of iTunes on a Macbook. But my issue has been occurring ever since I got my Mac (roughly a year ago, so I've been through several iTunes updates).

Basically, I would like to listen to an album while navigating through my library. Apparently, my iTunes doesn't like this. It will stop playing after the current track ends, and will not go to the next track in the album UNLESS I'm actually looking at the album.

For example, I click on Artist A. I see their albums in my list. I double-click on an album. The album starts playing from track 1. If I leave iTunes alone and don't navigate away from the album I'm listening to, iTunes will go on to track 2, 3, etc.

However, let's say track 1 is playing and I decide to go look at another artist. So I single-click on Artist B. I just wanted to see the name of a song or something. I didn't double-click on anything. So I'm looking at Artist B, and the track that I'm listening to ends. At this point, I'll hear....nothing!!!! :Grimmace: iTunes will simply stop playing. It won't go on to the next track. However, if I had navigated back to the album I was listening to BEFORE THE TRACK HAD ENDED, then it WILL go on to the next track.

Is there a setting tucked away somewhere that I'm not seeing? I love my Mac, but iTunes sucks as far as I'm concerned. I liked WMP 1000% better, due to this reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Hmm, I just tried what you said you're doing. Started an album then moved to another and it keeps on playing the prev one fine, so, there does seem to be an issue here. But I'm ****ed if I know what it is. Sorry.

OP
P
Reaction score
hmm, that's odd. But at least I'm getting somewhere. Now I at least know that iTunes is supposed to continue playing the album. So it's not a design issue, it's a setting issue or a bug.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.