DVI to Component Video Adapter with MBP

Reaction score
i have a 24" samsung TV with component video capabilities and i want to connect my MBP to is but i dont like the s-video quality (i never have really...) i found a product, listed here, and i was wondering if anyone has used it or heard stories of it working or not working on a MBP. the ideo card in the MBP is a RADEON Mobility x1600 if im not mistaken. on the adapter website, it says that it is made with an ATI chip and ive read other places that it should work with all ATI graphics cards... i have yet to find confirmation that it works with MBP though... thank you in advance.

Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing.

Have you tested it? Does it work? Does anyone else know?

Please let me know!

OP
T
Reaction score
i'm going to be buying it soon, (probably ordering it tomorrow) and i will update this thread when it arrives.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Do not know if this will work or not. I have used every other connection available except this. Have not tried one of these adapters due to many reports of issues with any PC, not just Mac's in going from DVI to component. And, once I started using TV's for my computer monitors, I made sure they had VGA and/or HDMI available.

It is cheap enough to not be out much money if it doesn't work. Assuming you try one of your existing component cables before going to buy a set just for your computer. The ones I've read about that do seem to work consistently are in the $100 and up price range making it a little steep if you have any other connection available.

The forum is beginning to see the question of connecting their Mac to a TV several times a week now. Am in process of putting together a cabling guide to have a single place to answer all these questions. Would appreciate posting of your findings for inclusion (with props due of course).

OP
T
Reaction score
that sounds like a great idea, the cabling guide and what not. like said previously, i'm going to order it today so hopefully i'll have it by the end of the week. i'll have to either buy component cables or get the one that has them already on there. i think i will go for the former but havent decided yet. i will update with any news.

Update: i am going to hold off on ordering it just for a short bit because i just emailed ATI with my question and i will be waiting for their response. on their product info site for the adapter, if lists all the compatible boards and that is here. anyways, i will be back with yes another update when they email me back.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
By that link, it looks like every card they've made for the last 5 -7 years will support it. I have a couple of those cards. Though I don't think ATI included that particular adapter with the cards.

Before you buy a new component cable, if you're using one on an existing DVD player or something, just try one of those first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.