Strange Backlight Behavior

Reaction score
Recently when I set my Macbook's backlight to the lower settings I've noticed that the screen will intermittently appear to start flashing. It seems like the backlight is flashing back and forth between full brightness and the setting I want. The effect is like an intense and irregular flicker.

This continues for 5-10 seconds and then stops sometimes quickly returning other times ceasing for long periods of time.

The Macbook's only 6 months old... is this a known issue? Should I notify Apple?

There's nothing else at all wrong with the thing, and I've been very careful in handling it.

The problem is that it's somewhat erratic and irregular... it's not like I can easily reproduce it at will - it comes and goes with no discernible usage-based cause. So I'm not sure how I would make a warranty claim.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple White MacBook 2.16 GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor
I think there definately is a problem with the screen. I don't think those kinds of problems should appear after 6 months of purchase. I recommend you to send it to Apple for service. I'm pretty sure they should fix it up for free~ You have the worrenty right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.