Password protecting airport, need help...

Reaction score
Hey, I'm just hooking up my airport. I'm wondering though, how do you password protect it? I visited my friends house and just jumped right on to his windows WAN (by the way, he saw how fast I did it on my mac, saw how fast I was on the internet and how we started sharing files with such little configuration [under a minute], he thought I hacked his system, kept telling me things like, "I didn't know you knew computers so well" and "You just hacked my computer!". It took him over 4 hours to get his computer hooked up and sharing files wirelessly with his roommates computer, both windows).

Anyways, I'm curious how to protect it. I've looked for a password system somewhere in the System Preferences, but can't find anything. Any help would be great.

maikutis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The only password protection you can do is in the router itself.....how you set it up depends on what wireless router you are using but you are going to try and set up a WEP key

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay, I checked out the router, and found the WEP input. Now, I put in a ten digit WEP key and rebooted the machine. When I restarted, I wasn't asked for the key. How can I test if it is actually working?

Thanks again...

maikutis.

P

PowerbookG417

when you come home if you have a WEP password you have to check first to see if you have it saved in your keychain if so it will never ask you..it will just join it.
if you really wanna test it have your friend come over with his laptop and have him try to join the network in your house.
but dont forget many programs like kismac have built in wep cracks if you have the proper wifi card. i believe there is a new type of encription that is in the making right now..i just cant remember the name.

anyone seen that new airport express ?

M

mac_donalds

Create a closed network

maikutis said:
Hey, I'm just hooking up my airport. I'm wondering though, how do you password protect it? I visited my friends house and just jumped right on to his windows WAN (by the way, he saw how fast I did it on my mac, saw how fast I was on the internet and how we started sharing files with such little configuration [under a minute], he thought I hacked his system, kept telling me things like, "I didn't know you knew computers so well" and "You just hacked my computer!". It took him over 4 hours to get his computer hooked up and sharing files wirelessly with his roommates computer, both windows).

Anyways, I'm curious how to protect it. I've looked for a password system somewhere in the System Preferences, but can't find anything. Any help would be great.

maikutis.

Just make sure you create a closed network - open the Airport Admin utility app and click show all Show All Settings and then check the Create a closed Network box. This will make sure your Airport network is only accessable to people who know the exact name of your network.

mac_donalds

airport.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.