• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Question About Movie Editing Software

Reaction score
I am trying to use iMovie but it seems a little cumbersome to work with. I can't get everything to work in sync with each other. Are there any other types of software that is a little better than iMovie, but not as complicated as Final Cut Pro???

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Unfortunately, you have less options on the Mac than you do on the PC. I find iMovie to a bit cumbersome myself, but that's because it's lacking in features. Someone looking for light editing probably doesn't mind the lack of precision and control over their effects and filters :)

Final Cut Express is an option, although it's got the same interface as Final Cut Pro. There is a definite learning curve, but once you've got the basics down, the rest comes fairly naturally. It's also about a fifth of the price :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I've just started working with Final Cut Express HD and if you know your way around iMovie I'd say this is definitely learnable.

I don't quite understand all the features yet and I'm sure I'm not using it optimally, but I can work the basics.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There is also Avid Xpress Pro. Which I believe is similar to Final Cut Express HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
OP
B
Reaction score
Maybe you should clearly explain the problem.

All I'm really trying to do is make a movie with just photos and music in the background. I tried making it last night, but I couldn't get the music to be in line with the amount of photos. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
iDVD does that, where you can tell the pictures to fit the length of the movie. That is great if your output is a DVD. iMovie for some reason doesn't seem to have that feature. You could create a DVD disk image and extract the mpeg2 file using a tool I guess.

In iMovie I think the closest you could get is to account for the length of the audio, and then select all the images and apply an appropriate transition, but first apply the length for each image I suppose. You'd have to account for how the transition is applied. And you don't want to import your pictures via the Ken Burns effect. Very ugly I know.

Hopefully the next version of iMovie will address this short coming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Some time ago, Think Secret had some screenshots up (actually I think that Mac World also had some screenshots in an issue some months back). I have to admit that it looks really slick. I've been really anxious for iWork '08 (I love Pages, but would like a little more functionality, and I really am looking forward to its spreadsheet app), but looking at the completely redesigned interface in Office 2008, I may just end up sticking with it!

(It helps working in Redmond where I have several friends who can pick up a copy of Office at the MSFT store for less money than I'll pay for iWork)

Reaction score
There is also Avid Xpress Pro. Which I believe is similar to Final Cut Express HD

Avid Xpress Pro is about $1899, their media composer (the high end version of Avid) is about $5,000. I work with it-it has a considerably higher learning curve than Final Cut. Sounds like Final Cut Express HD might be what you want, you can get it for $239 or something from amazon.com. It's not too difficult to work with, you'll get it down in no time, at least the basic functions. Never used the express version, just final cut pro, but it's a good program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.