Help with Fat32, error 1309 and my new external hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB
I've just bought a 500Gb external hard drive to back up my MacBook Pro. The main reason I bought it is I've started using iMovie HD, my first iMovie project is 23GB! I want to keep it in this format so I can amend it at a later date, but I also need to make some room on my Mac!

The problem is when I transfer the file I get mac error 1309 which is "File to big" I ran disk utility and noticed the drive is formatted to Fat32 which limits file sizes to 4GB, This is a PC format, later PC formatting was NTFS which allowed much bigger files

The question is, if I never intend to use the external hard drive on anything other than my Mac what formatting style should I use to allow me to transfer larger files or even better files sizes only limited by space on my external HD? I noticed my Mac HD is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), is this also best for my external HD too?

Thanks for your help.

GP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Mac OS Extended (Journaled), also more commonly known as HFS+, should do it. I think there is software out there that lets you read it on Windows if you really want to.

So yeah, use that.

OP
Ginger Pilot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz iPhone 3G 16GB
Job done, thanks, just 3 hours while I put it all back on again............................................................................................................................

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.