Cracking Noise when Closing Lid after being opened for a long period of time

S

sonnylee

When closing the lid to my PB 15 AL, if I had it opened for, say one hour, there is this single loud crack/click noise coming from the left hinge. It sounds as if it was stuck. If I only open my lid for, say 15 minutes or so, or some other short period, then the sound isn't there. Should I be worried about this? I've heard other PB make the same sound as well. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Sonny

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well I know the only time my PB made that noise, the hinge busted on it. Mine is the Titanium one though.. I would be worried, but I would wait to hear what other people say.

OP
T

TTK

I had this same problem, bring it into the Apple Store or call AppleCare and send it in, don't wait. It just gets worse. I got my repaired and it's smooth sailin'.

OP
S

starrin

Hello -- I have noticed this same exact cracking noise on my PB. I am wondering if I take it to the Apple Store -- that they will be able to address the problem -- maybe adjusting some of the screws on the hinges?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
The demo models in our local Apple store do that too; it sounds horrible. Definitely take it in before you bust the hinge off.

OP
J

jp_tix

i just had my pb fixed (still under warranty) for the exact same problem.
smooth as a mountain stream now.

OP
S

starrin

I took mine to the apple store -- the guy said he would tighten up some screws -- he did and it appears to have worked -- every so often I get it -- but it does not crack 95% of the time.

Only problem is that when I got it back -- I have 2 nice sized scratches.

If you take it to you store tell them OVER AND OVER -- DO NOT SCRATCH MY POWERBOOK!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Ok i won't...

*drops it instead*
*big dent, front right corner*

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Mine does this as well, I would not be too worried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Absolute Zero said:
Mine does this as well, I would not be too worried.

no no no, be worried, be worried! I remember I read on some Mac retail website about this kit with screw-drivers that aid in loosening and tightening the hinges. The reason given was that very tight hinges will harm the powerbook/ibook and the hinge mechanism could break.

OP
C

c.Tao81

mine have the same problem as well, just contact the KRCS, they said they can fix it, but takes three WEEKS not days, OMG, is that normal? or any suggestion for any quick repair?

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I'm not gonna worry. If it falls off, I already have 3 strikes at Apple and they'll upgrade me...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.