iPod music donation?

Reaction score
Dear Users,
I was wondering if it is possible for me to take a friends Windows formatted iPod and copy all of his music off the iPod and onto a removable hard drive attached to my MacBook? Is there a program that will allow me to do this, or is it just file recognition?
I do not have the space on my MB hard drive, which is why it needs to go directly to the external HD. If this is possible, can anyonce give me a step-by-step? Thanks!!

-Billbeme

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
use the program Senuti
find it at versiontracker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
use the program Senuti
find it at versiontracker

havent used sentui in a while, so i could be wrong, but "i think" you have to change your itunes music folder location to the external.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT w/ 128MB DDR3
Well, it would be a pain, but I think it's possible for you to leave your current iTunes library on your MB as is and dump the other library onto an external drive. I think you would then just have to manually add the folder(s) containing the music on the external drive instead of pointing iTunes to that location as its default. And if you put all of the "music donation" in one folder (with many sub-folders) you'll only have to do the add folder to library thing once!

The only downside to this is, of course, you won't be able to access the songs on the external drive if you don't lug it around w/ you.

Edit: First, I guess it wouldn't be that much of a pain, hehe. Second, and I don't have experience w/ this, why not just put the iPod in disk mode to make copying the files to the external drive easier?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I use iPodDisk I'm not sure if it'll work on a Win iPod but its worth a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.