Building a website???

Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry to bother you lot - I promise to keep this short, I am going to teach myself how to build a website and I was wondering if someone out there could maybe tell me what the main tools / Programs I need to do this??

Many thanks
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
All you need to get started is the following...

A domain name (I use DreamHost)
A host server (I use DreamHost)
An FTP client (I use CyberDuck... free)
iWeb (You could use any number of programs, but this is REAL easy)

I used a Promo code for dream host to save $97, so I have 250GB of space, plus a registered domain name, all for $22 per year. (PM me if you need the promo code)

Once you have registered the domain name, and have it hosted... You can design a website using iWeb... once you have the design made, click FILE, then click EXPORT TO FOLDER.

You will use CyberDuck (FTP Client) to upload the Folder contents to the Host Server... and Viola! You now have a website on the web (where elese would it be??? :D)

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
iWeb (You could use any number of programs, but this is REAL easy)

Easy to use yes, but the html/css it produces is far from perfect

Reaction score
I am interested in starting my own website as well & this thread definitely helps.
I read in an article somewhere that if you dont publish your site with .mac account, you dont ejoy a couple of features like page hit counter, comments posting or stuff like that.

further elaboration or explanation?

thanks. =D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Never mind the advertising spiel for .Mac there are many hosting resellers out there who offer as much or more for a better price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I think what he means is that if you use iWeb to build your site, but then publish the site to a folder on your computer, adn upload via ftp to your own host (not .mac) the features such as page hit counter and comments that would work in .mac won't work on your own host. Only if you are using iWeb to build your blog, podcast page, etc. though.

You could use iWeb to build most of your pages, and then use some of the software provided by the host service to build your blog, podcasts, etc...this will allow comments.

If you know how to code these things in, you can just create the extra html, and then edit your pages before upload.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Easy to use yes, but the html/css it produces is far from perfect

Agreed.. there is a fair amount of bloat.

But for the beginner, it is probably the VERY easiest to get started and learn from.

I am interested in starting my own website as well & this thread definitely helps.
I read in an article somewhere that if you dont publish your site with .mac account, you dont ejoy a couple of features like page hit counter, comments posting or stuff like that.

further elaboration or explanation?

iWeb has some features (that you mentioned) that are written only for .mac. You do NOT need .mac to use iWeb...

just design the site within iWeb, when finished, click Publish to Folder.

Your design will be placed on the desktop (or wherever you choose).

Then use the FTP client (Cyberduck is free) to connect to your domain/host.

Then drag/drop the CONTENTS of the iWeb folder into the file labeled www.yourdomainname.com that is listed on Cyberduck... it will take a minute to upload...

Go to your web browser, type your domain name in the URL field... VIOLA! You have done it!!! Congrats to you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
80GB 6G iPod Classic, 15" 1GHZ Powerbook G4 1GB RAM 60GB HDD
To build your site, I'd use Dreamweaver- I'm in love with it.
You could host your own site if you have an old computer laying around, turn it into a server.
You would need a domain, but there are free-workarounds, like no-ip.com. Otherwise, I'd advise godaddy.com, their domains are really cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB, Macbook Pro 2.16 / 2GB
I would say your best approach depends on what you want out of the experience.

If your main goal is to get some info onto the web for a hobby, family page, etc, iWeb is a fantastic tool, although you won't be exposed to much of the behind-the-scenes stuff that really make web pages tick. If you're looking to expand your abilities, and really learn it, you'll probably want to learn the basics of HTML and CSS, two important concepts in making web pages. There are tons of great books and web tutorials to help get you started. Creating Web Pages for Dummies is a great book covering the basics, despite the self-deprecating title :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
I learnt myself in notepad (was a win user at the time) -so text edit on mac (in plain text mode - i saved files as .html)
...Going on w3schools.com and testing everything I learnt there out

then I got a free site from tripod.com and I got better and better

Reaction score
I learnt myself in notepad (was a win user at the time) -so text edit on mac (in plain text mode - i saved files as .html)
...Going on w3schools.com and testing everything I learnt there out

then I got a free site from tripod.com and I got better and better
How does tripod work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz Macbook
Thanks for all the help! I had a question posted, but found my answer. Sorry!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.