12 inches, anyone?

Q

Quack_Blah

Hello users!

I sort-of asked this question on a previous thread as part of a bunch of other questions. But now, that I'm more seriously considering a 12 inch PB, I was wondering: How comfortable is 12inches?
Some people have said 12" is not bad, and I've been looking around stores to try out a 12" (there are now apple stores where I live), but I still can't picture myself being happy with 12".
Since I'm going to university next year for a B.A., I know that I'll likely be spending long hours staring at my screen and typing up essays. Would a 12" really be good for me?
(btw, I'm considering a 12" because it's less expensive)

Thanks, you people help out alot,

-Quack-Blah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Just a tip:

If your gonna be using your 12" PB for extensive amounts of time, then i would invest in a suitable heat-sink of some sort. After long hours of use they do get a little too hot to handle, especially if it's on charge apart from this, they are the most handy little machine.

OP
T

TylerMoney

I love my 12", I wouldn't have it any other way. I do design work on it..and sure, it'd be nice to have a larger screen, but I love it. There you have it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I like the 12s cause of the compactness. And the smaller display will help conserve power :)

OP
Q

Quack_Blah

Well, all your replies are appreciated. But here are where things stand right now for me:

iBooks:
-I see no problem switching in terms of software or Operation system
-Poor Design (Ports on left side) --> (see my other thread "questions from a skeptic")
-Not as powerful as Powerbooks. Therefore, they will become obsolete sooner and I may have to buy a new computer before I finish my 1st degree at university
-No built in Airport for wireless internet on the affordable iBooks (the airport built-in iBook is $1999.00 Canadian)
-Because ports on left side, would be inconvenient to use right handed mouse. Therefore would have to use the one-click touchpad (which I consider far less versitle and flexible than the two-button internet scroll mice).

12" Powerbook:
-Still not convinced that I will be confortable with a 10". Measured out dimensions of laptop and compared it to the computers I use at home. I can't picture starring at a 12" screen when I'm trying to get an essay done late at night
-Their infamous heating problem: there are over 200 postings on Apple's own website's discussion forum: (http://discussions.info.apple.com > PowerBook > PowerBook G4 12/17 Inch > Usage) about this design flaw. Apple's only solution is to tune down the power management settings ---thus making the machine less powerful.The excessive heat is not only distracting and unpleasant, it is unhealthy because heat inflames the tendon sheath associated with carpal tunnels syndrome (CTS).

-Any other PB than the 12" is far to expensive --> 12" start at $2099.00 (already too expensive for many people) and go up to $3699.00 for 17".

-In the end, I'm afraid I'm still not convinced to make the switch. I still highly regard the iBooks and PBs, but I don't know if I would buy them. Perhaps I will remained doomed in windows exile for the next few years.

-Quack-Blah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Quack_Blah said:
Well, all your replies are appreciated. But here are where things stand right now for me:

iBooks:
1. I see no problem switching in terms of software or Operation system
2. Poor Design (Ports on left side) --> (see my other thread "questions from a skeptic")
3. Not as powerful as Powerbooks. Therefore, they will become obsolete sooner and I may have to buy a new computer before I finish my 1st degree at university
4. No built in Airport for wireless internet on the affordable iBooks (the airport built-in iBook is $1999.00 Canadian)
5. Because ports on left side, would be inconvenient to use right handed mouse. Therefore would have to use the one-click touchpad (which I consider far less versitle and flexible than the two-button internet scroll mice).

1. That's a definite start. OS X is definitely switcher-friendly.
2. The design isn't as "poor" as you make it out to be. Yes, the ports are on the left side, but it's never been an issue for me.
3. A new iBook will be a very capable machine. Unless you're planning on running absolutely cutting-edge processor/graphics/memory intensive programs, it should easily last you throughout your educational career. As an example, there are still many people using original clamshell iBooks that which are still perfectly functional for everyday use.
4. I'm not sure what your connection will be like at school, but if you find that you do need an Airport Extreme card, they're easily added and not terribly expensive, especially if you purchase one on eBay or in Apple's "Specials" section. There's no real advantage to having Apple install the card at the factory except convenience (and maybe a slight price break).
5. Again, the ports are really not a problem. I used an Apple mouse (which has what most would agree is a short cord) with my iBook, and having the port on the left and the mouse on the right has never been a problem at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Having all the ports on one part of the mother board contributes to compactness. The 12 display is more then enough IMO cause I use 12 at the Apple store everytime I'm there - no problem :)

OP
M

Matt

I have a 12" Sony. This is all you need for projects, and I would feel more comfortable having a Powerbook over an iBook. Alluminum looks cool to (although the alluminum case wouldn't help the heat problem).

The iBook is all you need, though. Like the above post says, if your not into intensive graphics and processors, an iBook is all you need!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Well it does, as most heat-sinks are made of aluminium. The only problem IMO is it's low resolution... how about if they made it high res and keep small foot print?

If your a designer, how you use an application such as Flash and Director with all it's tool pallets open, without it annoying the cr*p outta you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's not clear from your comparison above, but both the 12" PowerBook and all the iBooks have the ports on the left side.

Really, try it before you complain...It's almost always more convenient than having them on the back. Your average mouse has a really long cord anyway (Long enough, usually, to reach from the top of someones desk, around the back, to a tower sitting on the floor, just in case someone wanted to use it that way.) My $20 two-button-optical-scroll Logitech has something like six feet of cable attached, so I end up having to coil it up with a twist tie.

Regarding heat...I have a "Rev A" 12" PowerBook. It does get uncomfortably hot. Note, however, that the heat is dissipated through the BOTTOM only...if it's sitting on a desk/table/any other surface, you don't notice the heat. Only when it's in your lap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Nice sig technologist :p Also keep in mind that you may not really use the mouse a lot. I find the Apple track pads are the best :)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
<3 PowerBook 12"
I'm on my Dad's 1.33 GHz 12" (he's not home >_>) and its the best thing ever.

...probably because my defective iMac sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
"-Because ports on left side, would be inconvenient to use right handed mouse. Therefore would have to use the one-click touchpad (which I consider far less versitle and flexible than the two-button internet scroll mice)."

Actually having the usb port on the right side would be very inconvenient as the wire would be lying right in front of the mouse and you'd keep on having to shove it out of the way...

this way i have my mouse on the right and just have the wire trail around the back of the screen (where i can't even see it) and then in on the port on the left!

Or just get a bluetooth mouse and cut the cord forever!

If you're writing long assignments, you shouldn't be typing with a laptop on your lap anyway, so the heat point becomes mute IMO.

I have the 12" ibook and whilst it definetly IS smallish, i wouldn't say disturbingly so.

But if you can afford to, go for the 14" ibook (if you don't mind the extra weight, bulkier size...)

As for switiching.... most of the issues you have with the macs, you'd have with similar pc laptops anyway!

Remember, as a student you qualify for a discount! And if you order on the phone, you might get an even better offer! (I got a package with the kensington saddle bag & airport extreme, asked them to drop the saddlebag and effectively got the airport card for free!)

OP
M

menace3054

I have a 12" Powerbook, and i love it to death. Ive had it for 2 weeks now, and its by far the best computer ive ever gotten to use. I picked the 12 inch model because i wanted to be able to easily take it to class and use it while im sitting on the couch in my living room. I dont think id ever buy a 17 inch model, even though its an amazing computer. To be honest with you, the 12 inch model is a great computer. if you upgrade the ram to 768 or max a 1.2gb, it can do anything you want it to. Its small and easy to take with you, and if you get sick of the small screen size then hook it up to an external source.

OP
J

joshua

iBooks:
-Not as powerful as Powerbooks. Therefore, they will become obsolete sooner and I may have to buy a new computer before I finish my 1st degree at university

Every computer, pc or otherwise becomes obsoete within a few months. If the computer still does what you want then it doesn't matter. Even if you bought a Powerbook, at least one newer model will be available by the end end of the year ;)

-No built in Airport for wireless internet on the affordable iBooks (the airport built-in iBook is $1999.00 Canadian)

Buy the upgrade card as suggested.

-Because ports on left side, would be inconvenient to use right handed mouse. Therefore would have to use the one-click touchpad (which I consider far less versitle and flexible than the two-button internet scroll mice).

I don't see your reasoning at all. If you're using a corded mouse, the mouse cord will be around the back of the iBook and out of the way. If you're using a wireless or Bluetooth one, the range is many meters so it's not an issue.

I use my 12" iBook all day, every day and love every minute of it! I even bought myself an iCurve and Apples Bluetooth keyboard and mouse the other day for when I'm at the desk. The iCurve raises the screen to a very comfortable level :)

OP
I

ikoul

Heh.

The title of this thread is funny when taken out of context.

"Twelve inches, anyone? BOW CHIKA BOW WOW"

OP
K

Kananigirl

I love my 12" pbook! I guess because it's cute and I definitely like the size. I just got it about 2 weeks ago too! I switched over from Windows PC to Mac and it hasn't crashed once! It's the best computer I've had, ever. I still use my PC, but not as much. I guess I want to make use of my Plextor CD-burner. LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
well i love my PB 15". its my baby. Just remember, repair premissions, keep it clean and in a nice case and it should last for years.

OP
P

pedXing

If i were to run photoshop, flash, and dreamweaver on a 12'' pb would it be confortable or should i invest in a 15'' pb?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.