12 inches, anyone?

OP
D

daxdagr8t

i have my 12in pb for a week now and its great. the most beautiful thing next to my gf.hehehehe,go get it you wont regret it.

OP
C

Cloudane

I suppose it depends on what size, type and resolution of screen you're used to. From my experience though, don't worry, go for it :)

For several years I've been staring at 17" CRTs, and I was just as skeptical... I wanted portability more than anything (well, also the price difference to be honest!) but thought it'd be way too small after staring at a 17". Yet I got one and started using it at home and work (only a week ago, but still) and I've not even noticed that it's a small screen. If anything, I keep forgetting and thinking it's at least a 15" :) (I believe flatscreens are a larger image than CRTs for the same measurements... something about CRTs being measured by the tube, not all of which is visible)

In fact I have the Powerbook sat here next to the iiyama 17" I normally use for the PC, currently acting as a second display on the PB. I keep moving windows across to the Powerbook's screen because it's a lot clearer and easier to look at. Seems the amazing clarity of the Powerbook's screen does a lot to make up for its small size... as I say, I've never really noticed its size and the CRT seems horrible to look at now in comparison.

That said, I have to be fair... even on the 17" I was most comfortable at 1024x768 so I'm looking at the exact same resolution on a nicer (albeit smaller) display. If you're used to higher resolutions (some PC users go to extremes) then maybe it would bother you. I've also only had the Powerbook for a week so I might be semi-consciously biased.

Having used it non-stop over the last week for both home (message boards etc) and work (typing, diagrams, design work etc) though, I've felt 100% comfortable using it for long periods. The only thing I needed to do was buy a Microsoft USB optical wheel mouse at a mere £12 because the scratchpad and single button were driving me nuts. The screen and keyboard though, are a delight, I could sit at it all day and not bat an eyelid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.