Just ordered my new Powerbook!!!

W

wickedbusa

I just ordered my new toy, a replacement for my iBook G4. Actually, I'm handing down my iBook to my fiance who has been complaining about her Compaq laptop for as long as thee I can remember. Here is what I just ordered:

17 inch Powerbook G4 1.5 gHz
80 gig HD @ 5400
512 MB RAM
128 MB Graphics Memory
Superdrive
Airport Extreme

I left out the RAM upgrade since I can get a 1 MB stick for a lot less than Apple is charging. Can't wait :D

OP
I

IndianPowerbook

AWESOME CHOICE

The 17 incher is so gorgeous. You just need a big ass case when u travel!

CONGRATS ON THE NEW MAC ADDITION!

ANOTHER SWITCHER

OP
W

wickedbusa

I may have to find a bigger bag to carry my new PB around in. For the amount of money I just spent on it, I don't want ANYTHING to happen to it. Funny thing is, I don't mind the amount of money I spent. There's just something about falling in love with a Mac.

OP
L

lzasitko

New Toy

wickedbusa said:
I left out the RAM upgrade since I can get a 1 MB stick for a lot less than Apple is charging. Can't wait :D

Don't know about your dealer but where I bought my computer they also sold other ram (Kingston and others) from several manufacturers and I checked prices all over Calgary. The dealer was $10 more than the lowest price I found elswhere and they installed it and tested it, lifetime warranty etc. I could have bought ram cheaper on the internet but being in Canada there is money exchange, duty, taxes and brockerage fees that drive the price up. In the end I decided I would rather get it put in by the Apple tech and know that it works properly etc. I would check with them anyways and see what other ram they sell or can get and costs.

I am an innstant gratification kind of guy :) So I bought my computer from a dealer rather than wait for it be shipped. I had a chance to try the computer and make sure everything was good before I left. I also try to support local business as much as I can even though I may pay a little more. In the end they gave me a Mareware Sportfolio II sleeve for it along with a couple of the mac magazines.

Congrats on the new toy, I am sure you'll be lovin' it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Congratz on the new 17! Nice Mac collection lzasitko!

OP
N

nicholas

Hey wickedbusa, high five! you and i now have exactly the same computer, exact configurations and all. I bought a 1GB RAM stick from crucial when they were selling them for $439 a pop. Currently they're $478 or something...

OP
W

wickedbusa

nicholas said:
Hey wickedbusa, high five! you and i now have exactly the same computer, exact configurations and all. I bought a 1GB RAM stick from crucial when they were selling them for $439 a pop. Currently they're $478 or something...

Wow! That that how much it is for a 1GB stick nowadays? :eek: Hmm, it would be cheaper if I just had 2 512 sticks :cool: Is there a difference in the peformance between a 1 GB stick and dual 512 sticks?

OP
N

nicholas

Well I have two 1GB sticks in the powerbook. But two 512 vs. one 1GB stick would make no difference. But if you bought a 1GB stick, then you'd actually have 1.5GB. Blazing indeed.

OP
W

wickedbusa

Nicholas, did you have to special order your PB? It just makes me wonder how long it will take for my new PB to get here. I ordered it yesterday directly from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
CONGRATS! Welcome to the Mac World! I love my PB too even though i still own a PC though for those evil little video editing programs that wont work with my Mac. Maybe Ill buy another PB.... ;) Maybe A turbo for my honda or a G5? A little help guys?

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
You loser. Rot in ****.

...ignore me. I'm jealous. :(

OP
W

wickedbusa

Absolute Zero said:
You loser. Rot in ****.

...ignore me. I'm jealous. :(

I felt the same way as you do. It was hard looking at all of my friend's with Powerbooks, especially since I was the only one with an iBook. Trust me, I spent a LONG time saving up for this thing
:p

Beret, get a G5, forget the turbo ;) If you want to go fast, get a bike (hence, my username).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I wish you luck with your PowerBook. Mine has had nothing but trouble.
*sprinkles salt all around thread and chants some weird things*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yup

Absolute Zero said:
Very entertaining Zero :)

OP
W

wickedbusa

Absolute Zero said:

Casting weird spells now, are you?
:eek: :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
Very entertaining Zero :)
Thanks. :)

*takes off hat* Donate to my new PowerBook fund please!

OP
N

nicholas

wickedbusa said:
Nicholas, did you have to special order your PB? It just makes me wonder how long it will take for my new PB to get here. I ordered it yesterday directly from Apple.

I ordered mine from my university (USC) and it arrived in about 1 week. And since they order it directly from Apple too, I would expect your PB to arrive soon!

OP
W

wickedbusa

nicholas said:
I ordered mine from my university (USC) and it arrived in about 1 week. And since they order it directly from Apple too, I would expect your PB to arrive soon!

Cool. Is it me, or is my one week wait seem awfully long ;) ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.