Can I use any Mac OS.X install disc or does it have to be original?

Reaction score
basically, I purchased my macbook used, it came with nothing but manuals and the macbook/charger. There is the administrator pw and the user name still on here. I want to change the names and reset the pw to my own. Or maybe I even want to reformat, create a partition then reinstall the entire OS.

I was told that the disc is married to the system its' installed on. But that sounds kind of dumb. Being in IT for so long, I didn't even know it was technically possible to get a disc to be married to a system. Maybe the other way around if the disc have an automated CD keys. I dunno, but what do I know about mac. It's my first MacBook!

Can I borrow his disc and reinstall the OS on my system? How can I find my own cd key on my current system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
basically, I purchased my macbook used, it came with nothing but manuals and the macbook/charger. There is the administrator pw and the user name still on here. I want to change the names and reset the pw to my own. Or maybe I even want to reformat, create a partition then reinstall the entire OS.

I was told that the disc is married to the system its' installed on. But that sounds kind of dumb. Being in IT for so long, I didn't even know it was technically possible to get a disc to be married to a system. Maybe the other way around if the disc have an automated CD keys. I dunno, but what do I know about mac. It's my first MacBook!

Can I borrow his disc and reinstall the OS on my system? How can I find my own cd key on my current system?
If you bought the system, technically you shouldn't have to borrow anything. The discs should have been included. They won't do the seller any good if he doesn't have the accompanying system anyway.

Whether it will work or not isn't a question. Yes, if the discs are the ones that the system originally came with, then it will work.

There is no CD key to locate or anything on the system that will be of use. You simply need a set of discs designed for the intended machine.
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You just need the install discs for the Macbook. So discs for an iMac or a Mac Pro won't work. Either that or you can buy a retail copy of OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Maybe I'm wrong, but when you try to re-format/re-install don't you have to enter the current administrator password first?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Maybe I'm wrong, but when you try to re-format/re-install don't you have to enter the current administrator password first?
don't think so
plus if you do he said that he had it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The disc is married to the type of Mac, not the specific machine. There's probably a code within the firmware of each Mac model, and a corresponding one on the CD.

So you need someone with the same MacBook as you, or buy the retail version of Tiger. If you have an Intel Mac though, you'll have to talk to Apple as there's no retail Intel version. Or wait and buy Leopard in October.

OP
D
Reaction score
Are these disc dual layer or single?

Since I own the copy of the OS.X installed on my MacBook, how do I see the serial keys if the one installed on it? So if i were to use someone else's Macbook recovery/install DVD I would be using my own and not theirs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Are these disc dual layer or single?

Since I own the copy of the OS.X installed on my MacBook, how do I see the serial keys if the one installed on it? So if i were to use someone else's Macbook recovery/install DVD I would be using my own and not theirs.

Dual.

OSX doesn't use serial keys.

OP
D
Reaction score
that answer the reason why I couldn't search any info on it. O:)

Can you please explain the process in short of what it uses to verify the legitment the OS installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
that answer the reason why I couldn't search any info on it. O:)

Can you please explain the process in short of what it uses to verify the legitment the OS installed?

There is really no way to "verify" if the install is "valid". If you bought the machine with OSX installed, it is by default "valid". If you didn't get discs with it then you need to obtain a legal version of the OS either from the person you bought it from, e-bay or buy the retail version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.