• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie finished DVDs dont play audio

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting desperate, I've tried almost everything to get my movie that I made in iMovie to have audio on my finished DVD.

here's the lowdown:

-I'm using an Intel iMac
-iMovie and iDVD are both updated to the latest versions
-I imported a video I made using a JVC camcorder on miniDV tapes
-the audio is 16bit (not 12bit)
-I added some extra mp3's on the 2nd audio track in iMovie
-everything sounds find in iMovie AND iDVD but when I burn to a DVD or make a disc image, NO audio plays whatsoever

Things I've tried:

-making a DVD and disc image (neither had audio)
-playing the disc image using DVD player and VLC player
-Deleting the encoded assets in the iDVD project (per the apple article in Sherlock)
-This issue can also occur if third-party (non-Apple) QuickTime plug-ins are installed. If the issue still occurs after trying the steps above, check for third-party plug-ins in ~/Library/QuickTime/ and /Library/QuickTime. Move these to the desktop, and then log out and log back in to the computer (tried that)

I called Apple and they said it could be one of 4 possibilities:

-audio is 12 bit (nope its 16 bit)
-bad disc (nope, I the disc image didnt work either)
-iDVD isnt recognizing my mp3's (plays fine in iDVD and the audio from the tapes dont play either, not just the mp3s)
-something wrong with iDVD (I agree, but he couldnt tell me what or how to fix it)

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
1. Have you tried repairing disk permissions?
If yes, and still nothing,

2. have you tried moving the image file to a different computer and playing it...just to make sure there isn't a codec issue still happening, if that was it at all?

3. Reinstall iDVD, and try before updating.
If done, and still nothing, run updates again.

Beyond that, not sure where to go, but to contact apple and tell them what else you've done.

Best of luck,

Brian

OP
eon.
Reaction score
1. Have you tried repairing disk permissions?

2. have you tried moving the image file to a different computer and playing it...just to make sure there isn't a codec issue still happening, if that was it at all?

3. Reinstall iDVD, and try before updating.
If done, and still nothing, run updates again.

Beyond that, not sure where to go, but to contact apple and tell them what else you've done.

Best of luck,

Brian

Well, I kinda got it to work.

I think the problem is with iDVD because I shared the iMovie project to a Quicktime movie (which played with full audio), then tried to make a dvd using iDVD and no audio. So, instead I made a DVD using the quicktime movie with Toast and it worked just fine.

I guess I'll have to try step 3 (reinstall iDVD) but uhg, I really don't feel like it if I can just use Toast.

edit: oh, but thanks for the suggestions :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.